1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Change of address with both sites having inbound links from each other..is this bad?

Hello-

I have rebranded a site with a new domain. I'm going form stellargaragedoorga(.)com to garagedoorexpertga(.)com

My question is... search console is registering that I have links from "stellar" pointing toward "experts" and that I also
    have links from "experts pointing towards "stellar" (See Below) This is a result from a long list of incorrect usage of 301s,
    Site Migrations with old links from (Stellar) still in the pages of the new site (experts), and rel canonical tags being miss used.... =/

I have since made changes over 3 weeks ago and removed all links that are pointing from Experts towards Stellar.
    So in reality "experts" has zero links pointed towards steller and the only links that should be pointing from stellar to
    experts are 301's or rel canonicals : Do you believe if I submit a change of address, will google consider it to be an
    infinite link loop? Which I assume would be bad...... or should I wait for search counsel to registar zero links from stellar to experts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by JeremyBooze
    Change of address with both sites having inbound links from each other..is this bad?
    Yes it is bad. You are changing address so naturally you want the new address never to point again to the old address.

Yes, it could result in an infinite link loop depending on the 301s or canonicals currently applied to the pages.

Do your best to track and update the links pointing back to the old site. As to whether you should wait, that is up to you. But if you've done your best and still couldn't achieve "zero links", I don't think you should keep waiting before you submit a change of address.