1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Categories in article titles

Hi! I'm a brand new member in SEOchat, because this issue has been bothering me for a while.

My site serves as a hub for popular free music videos, albums and mp3s. This means the types of content I offer to my visitors are always limited to about 10 different categories and this very rarely changes. My titles usually look something like this right now: "Artist - Title of work". I have the category marked separately with the post so people know, which type of content it is.

This causes issues. Let's say an artist releases a song, then releases the video to it 5 days later. I will have duplicate title tags and it will be hard for people to tell the 2 apart if they should ever appear somewhere on the site (content sliders, search etc). I know for a fact people search for "artist - song mp3 (or video etc)" the most in search engines.

This leads me to a question - should I abolish my current title logic in favor of a new one, where I'd place a category in front of all titles as such: "Mp3: Artist - Title", Video: "Artist - Title" and so on for all my 10 pre-determined categories? If so, would placing the actual Wordpress php category marker between the h2 tags suffice or would it be better to type it out by hand for each article (so it becomes a part of wp_title)?

I personally have a feeling such titles with categories in them would represent the content better for the user and would also indicate what content to expect to the search engines in a more efficient way, leading to more traffic.

What are your thoughts on this? If you have any ideas, please contribute .
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You need to vary the titles such as 'new hit Justin Bieber' (example)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Be creative in varying your titles with the keyword, use google instant search for suggestions or a keyword tool.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by PathwayIns
    You need to vary the titles such as 'new hit Justin Bieber' (example)
    Wouldn't that account for an extremely inconsistent user experience on the site? If my site offers a limited variety of content (posts might reach 10 times a day or more), then I would expect the user to want a strong, clear-cut distinction between the different types of content to understand what's going on. Especially considering that people may be visiting for only a specific type of media (for example they may want mp3's but not videos).

In that case wouldn't it be better to take the SEO hit in favor of site usability? And what I'm getting, it's definitely going to be necessary to include the categories in titles?

These are just some of the thoughts I had. I would love to discuss this.

ggg377
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why is your end goal? SEO so prospects can find your site, or user experience?

Naturally you need both, but you need to take steps to balance them both. The mistake some make in SEO is not understanding the engineering SEO techniques to do both.

SEO is far more complicated and difficult now than ever before, guessing and taking one piece of information from this forum and other nuggets of information from other SEO forums may fool you into believing that you know the answers, the only way to know for sure is implement and test, and observe the results!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What you will not get (especially from an SEO pro) is all of the secrets for free to SEO.

Someone who is exceptionally talented in search engine optimization has taken Time and money to invest in their education and hence they achieve tremendous results.

Therefore if the talented SEO pro has Invested tens of thousands of dollars, Or hundreds of thousands of dollars Of their own capital to learn the secrets tips and strategies and techniques of SEO, do you think or Believe they would willingly and readily handle over their secrets of SEO on a silver platter for no cost?

No, they may give you a smidgen of knowledge, But they would not provide the whole enchilada so to speak, so if your knowledge is Limited in search engine optimization you should hire one of the professionals that you find to help you achieve the goals that you wish to achieve To accomplish.

Pay their fee and then take the steps necessary to educate yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by PathwayIns
    What you will not get (especially from an SEO pro) is all of the secrets for free to SEO.

Someone who is exceptionally talented in search engine optimization has taken Time and money to invest in their education and hence they achieve tremendous results.

Therefore if the talented SEO pro has Invested tens of thousands of dollars, Or hundreds of thousands of dollars Of their own capital to learn the secrets tips and strategies and techniques of SEO, do you think or Believe they would willingly and readily handle over their secrets of SEO on a silver platter for no cost?

No, they may give you a smidgen of knowledge, But they would not provide the whole enchilada so to speak, so if your knowledge is Limited in search engine optimization you should hire one of the professionals that you find to help you achieve the goals that you wish to achieve To accomplish.

Pay their fee and then take the steps necessary to educate yourself.
    That's what I did 6 years ago, I hired a SEO consultant To help rank my website, And I began to take measured steps to educate myself, but that involves both money, time, and testing.

So if you are Not sure exactly how to take the balance measured approaches to rank your website and then provide relevant User experience you need to hire professional help, or Cobble together your knowledge And test it and see what happens.

(I have ruined a few websites that way by the way)

But that's exactly what steps you need to take With the understanding that you could shoot yourself in the foot, destroying a website strategy.

Trust me, not a Single professional on this forum That makes a six-figure living or more will tell you how to do it for free! (For instance When someone hires me to build a strategy I do not teach them what I'm doing I simply do it And provide the results... a good magician never reveals all of his techniques, right?)