1. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Canonical tags ecommerce site

I wright reviews for products on an eCommerce site. These reviews are placed both the blog and the product pages. Would it be best to use the canonical tag to show Google you would prefer the product pages to rank over the blog posts?

Thanks

TPN
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes it the best way. Canonical tags are used to stop duplicate content.
  5. Contributing User

Great question, TPN! here are some thoughts:

Short answer:

I would not add re="canonical" unless the blog pages are entirely duplicate of the product pages; that is to say, only add the rel="canonical" if the content on the blog if blog posts are only product reviews.
    Also, if the blog posts are entirely duplicate, without further details that raises some red flags as a blog strategy.

Long Answer:

I wish I knew how blog posts and products are laid out. For the canonical tag to work, the two similar pages need to pass a similarity check, so they need to be sufficiently similar. This was likely put into place to prevent erroneous usage of rel="canonical" and protect users in cases of incorrect usage, such as a funny case where the unkeen web designer publishes a site wide rel="canonical" to the homepage that makes it look like the only page on the site is the home page

the two scenerios

lets say you have product pages that have product descriptions in addition to comments and the comments are all on the page. Lets also say that you have a blog post (with content unique when compared to the main site) that is followed by some User Generated Content (UGC) content that is the same as the product page, I am not sure that the rel="canonical" would work, it will likely not pass the similarity test because there is a bunch of different content. Also, in this case, you really may not want the whole page to be considered duplicate, just because a specific snippet of content is considered duplicate.

A case where the rel="canonical" may work is if the blog posts are just complete duplicate content of the product page, then it may work. However, if that is your blog strategy, it may be a problematic blog strategy for reasons beyond canonicalization.

Without more details those are the two scenerios for canoncialization in your case.

summary

*the key consideration is how similar the two pages are in terms of content, is there just a similar snippet or are the whole pages duplicate? This is a factor in rel="canonical" working or not working. If you can share more details about how duplicate the content is, I'd be happy to provide further thoughts here.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  7. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

To add to the excellent question above, instead of wondering about canonicals, I'd rather work on content strategy to target different types of rankings:

* Product pages: Main "commercial" keywords
    * Blog posts: "How to" type of keywords to cater for informational but still relevant queries that could convert with the right type of landing pages..
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  9. SEO Guy

I will not prefer to post same content on both blog and product pages, I would rather make it a single page to reduce the mess.
    Hey! I am Shobhit, working as Asst. Manager Online Marketing in New Delhi, India.
    I am an avid and omnivorous reader as far as SEO and smartphones are concerned. I also have a blog on Search Engine Optimization that shares a few tips and tricks on SEO.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with Ann Smarty, above. Blog posts and product pages have different user intents so your blog and product pages would rank differently depending on the query entered. Users with the intent to purchase the product would likely be directed to the product page, whereas users looking for reviews about the product would likely be taken to your blog page with the review.

If you would prefer users to land on your product pages when they type in queries related to reviews for the product in question, it is better to have the review content in just one place; on the product page, and optimize that page for review phrases.

For your blog pages with reviews, you could provide a link back to the corresponding product page, to help catch any users that accidentally found your blog page instead of the product page.
  13. No Profile Picture

If you are facing keyword cannibalization problem then i would prefer you to use this tag otherwise not.....