1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonical Tags Check?

My site is not performing, and I'm almost positive it's because of the canonical tags. When I run Screaming Frog crawler, it doesn't follow pagination* (meaning it does not report on ?p=2, ?p=3, etc.) and it's only finding about half of my products. I can't figure out why this is the case. Can anybody here please look at my tags and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Much appreciated.

craftdirect.com/echo-park.html
    /echo-park.html?p=2
    /echo-park.html?p=3
    /echo-park.html?p=1

*and yes, I double checked the settings.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I should note, I have tried various configurations.
    Last edited by nathanarizona; May 26th, 2015 at 07:03 PM.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

because some categories have 500+ products
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, big ups to SEOs in Arizona. Moved here 3 years ago, and love it.
  11. Bagadbilla

Originally Posted by nathanarizona
    My site is not performing, and I'm almost positive it's because of the canonical tags. When I run Screaming Frog crawler, it doesn't follow pagination* (meaning it does not report on ?p=2, ?p=3, etc.) and it's only finding about half of my products. I can't figure out why this is the case. Can anybody here please look at my tags and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Much appreciated.

craftdirect.com/echo-park.html
    /echo-park.html?p=2
    /echo-park.html?p=3
    /echo-park.html?p=1

*and yes, I double checked the settings.
    I Supposed that your site is ecommerce site. Screaming frog crawler never search all the page(Exception if there). It only show with categories of page without product ID. So don't worry about that. Your site is fine.
    Now move on your products which are not listed, Try to be specific with your product and product details ( as you have 500+ products in one category). At Category page use common keyword which are common in all the products. For example your products are related with echo park. Then use "echo park" in category page and other common keyword and also use product keyword which generate more value than other keyword.

Comments on this post

• molly1 agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think I figured out what my problem is. Magento has a bug in it and my products move around in the category when you go through the pages of paramaterized query strings. Categories with only enough product for 59 pages end up with 118 pages, and page 118 rel=prev to page 59 because there isn't actually a page 117. Got my IT team working on the bug, but they aren't finding any easy answers.
  15. rod@missionop.com

because some categories have 500+ products
    This is your problem.

More importantly, any category with 500+ products must be doing a million dollars in sales each year... or 1,000,000 divide by 500 divide by 365 days = or less than $5 in a sale/day/product where it might take a week to amass a single sale.

If you're not Amazon stop trying to be.

How many products never get a sale? EVER? Weed those out.

Then how many never got a sale in the past 12 months. Weed those out.

As you weed your canonical issue will diminish and your remaining products will take flight.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 9th, 2015 at 02:05 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    This is your problem.

More importantly, any category with 500+ products must be doing a million dollars in sales each year... or 1,000,000 divide by 500 divide by 365 days = or less than $5 in a sale/day/product where it might take a week to amass a single sale.

If you're not Amazon stop trying to be.

How many products never get a sale? EVER? Weed those out.

Then how many never got a sale in the past 12 months. Weed those out.

As you weed your canonical issue will diminish and your remaining products will take flight.
    This is crazy talk, IMO. They almost all sell, and I shouldn't have to remove unique product pages to make my SEO better. Seems absurd.

The problem is Magento has sorting parameters that are stripped from the URL when a visitor navigates to another category, but the content is still being modified. For example, you want to look at /x.html?limit=30 but when you go to category Y the URL reads just /y.html as if it's a limit of 9, but the limit is 30. Different content, same URL. Big issue.
    Last edited by nathanarizona; Jun 9th, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
  19. rod@missionop.com

This is crazy talk, IMO. They almost all sell, and I shouldn't have to remove unique product pages to make my SEO better. Seems absurd.
    You advised us of canonical problems and the reason for that was that not all products are on one page, and the reason for that was SOME categories have 500+ products, which you are correct is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!

I'm sure if they "ALL" sell then your site IS PERFORMING, contrary to your original claim.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    You advised us of canonical problems and the reason for that was that not all products are on one page, and the reason for that was SOME categories have 500+ products, which you are correct is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!

I'm sure if they "ALL" sell then your site IS PERFORMING, contrary to your original claim.
    Google shopping, homey.

Even if I got it down to 31 products per category, the problem would persist.
    Last edited by nathanarizona; Jun 9th, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Even if I got it down to 31 products per category, the problem would persist.
    PPC SEO is about one product on one page to capture sales for that single product, having independent ads for each additional independent product.

Clearly doing PPC for each & every product is costly

Organic SEO is about tradeoffs. You can certainly toss everything in but the cost is unbelievably worse than PPC if:

I shouldn't have to remove unique product pages to make my SEO better.
    ... no you simply need millions of links like Amazon has to be an Amazon style website. Just pour millions into your natural link program by hiring massively experienced Subject Matter Experts so you can support all those products.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks.

I only have 3,000 products total. I'm not trying to be amazon, but I am trying to be the biggest in my niche space, and that requires that I have all these pages on my site for users to navigate to. The product pages get traffic from our blog, text ads, PLAs, email campaigns, organic, etc. One company makes hundreds of cartridges for a machine they make, so all those belong on one category. It's just the way things have to be set up.

The problem is with the bug in Magento. We don't have consistent crawling. If a page is sorted (or limited, moded, etc.) and then you navigate away to another category, the URL reads like it's the default version of the category, but it sorts like you had it on the last category. It's creating different versions of the same page and crawlers can't make sense of it. I've got a few ideas for solutions, now.

Thanks for the input, peoples
  27. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Your best bet would actually be talking to a Magento expert about this. They should be able to resolve the problem quickly, will probably cost you a couple of hundred dollars but it's worth them doing correctly.

There is no problem at all with craft categories having thousands of products, taking paper for example you can have 20 different colours/thickness/style (emboss/plain etc) that'll easily draw your products into thousands and will require a good filter for your users to find the products. Some products may not sell in months, however the thing with craft is if you don't have that product when a user wants it they will go elsewhere and they will probably stay elsewhere.

Comments on this post

• nathanarizona agrees