1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Canonical Tag issue

Hello All,

I have read about Canonical Tag, but never implemented that. Now I think I have the scenario to work on it. One of my client's site is having canonical url issue. His site is opening in following formats:

www.example.com
    example.com/
    www.example.com/index.html
    example.com/index.html

In my opinion this is the perfect situation for canonical tag. My confusion is in which page I have to use this tag. Some suggestions from you guys will be appreciated.

BTW, the site is in Apache server.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by new_seo
    Hello All,

I have read about Canonical Tag, but never implemented that. Now I think I have the scenario to work on it. One of my client's site is having canonical url issue. His site is opening in following formats:

www.example.com
    example.com/
    www.example.com/index.html
    example.com/index.html

In my opinion this is the perfect situation for canonical tag. My confusion is in which page I have to use this tag. Some suggestions from you guys will be appreciated.

BTW, the site is in Apache server.

Actually, for the example.com pages you don't need the canonical. You can change this is webmaster tools.

But for the rest... Just put

<link rel="canonical" href="www.example.com/" /> in the header of all the pages (guess there is one master for all) and there you go. (actually fix the example.com issue as well)
  5. No Profile Picture

I actually asked the same question on a forum a while ago, and by the end of the discussion we were all pretty much stumped.
    My question was "how do you implement the rel="canonical" tag on pages that don't actually exist?"

The only version of your homepage that you ever actually see in your root folder is 'index'. All the other canonical versions cannot be viewed. So, how do you find these pages to insert the canonical tag?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, if I understand you correctly the case is that it is all the same file (index.html) but that there are some redirects that makes it seem like example.com/ example.com/index.html www.example.com/index.html etc all exits.

That means that you only need to but the canonical link on the index.html file, and everything will sort itself out. You can check this by later typing in example.com/ in your browser and view the sourcecode. If the canonical link is still there, you are set to go
  9. No Profile Picture

its always a good idea to set your domain preference within googles webmaster tools.