1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cannibalisation vs Silo

I've started working on a site that has problems.

It ranks OK for some keyword but very few - overall 2500 keywords but only 8 in top 3.

After doing a thorough analysis of competitors, I came to the conclusion that the site has far superior on page SEO setup than competitors, and from what I can see, it goes toe to toe with each of them off page.

Of course, that's what I can see.

However, this site gleans a meager 800 visitors per month whereas every competitor seems to attract upwards of 8000.

There is one sticking point however - the site structure. Overall it's okay, until you get to the blog.

Here's the structure:

Home ==> blog ==> category ==> posts
    Home ==> landing pages

The posts fall into 2 distinct camps:

The first is a set of posts are not well matched to the site topic - they're not way off, so it's not something that's going to annoy Google, but its unlikely to bring anything to the main topic. It was obviously an attempt to attract visitors at some point and does have some backlinks.

The second set of posts has been set up for SEO. It closely tracks the main topic but I also feel that some of the posts are too close to the keywords we're trying to rank on the main site devalue the main landing pages (off the home page).

The second set of posts have no links, get no engagement and no longer show up in the internal links section of Webmaster Tools despite being heavily interlinked - maybe a sign that Google doesn't really like them.

I could remove all of the posts which would immediately remove the issue of cannibalisation but I worry that removing up to 20 posts would affect the content from an SEO perspective (it's about half the blog and 25% of the site). I'm also wary that this may be propping the site up in the current rankings.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas that might help me sort this issue?
    Last edited by noobuk; Mar 6th, 2017 at 04:02 AM.