1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Can one company have 2 websites?

Hello there!!!

My company has a website (Applicom: System Integrator in Dubai UAE - APPLICOM) and now the company is planning to build a new website for online shopping . unfortunaley both the new website and the old website sells the same product (the latter is not an online shopping site), except few.How does this affect seo? will it help if i use another contact information and email id and skip the physical location as it has only one physical location. How can i make this happen?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by tinu
    Hello there!!!

My company has a website (Applicom: System Integrator in Dubai UAE - APPLICOM) and now the company is planning to build a new website for online shopping . unfortunaley both the new website and the old website sells the same product (the latter is not an online shopping site), except few.How does this affect seo? will it help if i use another contact information and email id and skip the physical location as it has only one physical location. How can i make this happen?
    Others on this forum have brought up a pretty strong argument (and evidence) that duplicate content will not be an issue for you here.

"how does this affect seo" as you say?

Assuming you follow best practices for whitehat seo on both sites, the only thing i can think of is that with two websites, you're competing against yourself... why do they want to have two?

EDIT => misquote corrected
    Last edited by mainstwebguy; Jan 19th, 2017 at 07:51 AM.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  5. Contributing User

here's a good example of a company with 2 websites. However, they are used for two totally different things:

Pepsi

Official Site for PepsiCo Beverage Information | Home

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : Good example!
  7. Professional SEO

I am a big fan of having two sites for one business, but not sure about your application. If both sites do the exact same thing, that sure is a lot of extra work for not much reward. In my own experience with two sites for one business, I try to separate their functions and have each site vie for totally different keywords.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees
    • KnowOneSpecial agrees
    • garg.nina agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

I totally believe in multiple sites... just need to structure them properly. I have my main site carshowsign.com as my entire catalog. Then I have other sites like carshowboard.com or carshowdisplays.com focusing on the individual product. That way I have multiple sites bringing in orders. As long as you set things up to achieve your ultimate goal on your main site, you should be good.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is the main purpose of using two websites? Anyway, you can own two websites but you will not get rankings for a new website with the same business name. You can do this and compete for your own business. Instead of creating two websites for same business you can change the business name slightly and gain double benefits. But keep different content on both sites.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by ninja09
    What is the main purpose of using two websites?
    I can think of a few reasons... but 1 will suffice...
    Look at the following site >> davehampton.com, this site has I think 4 versions of itself, each in a different language, at least 3 I can remember immediately. They just used sub-domains to separate them.

But you do see folks create sites like this somewebsite.fr, somewebsite.co.uk somewebsite.de, etc etc... all owned by the same business. They do it to target different countries.
  15. Contributing User

I agree with DirectHits and I am still a big fan of having two websites but a couple of months ago I asked this question but some members strongly disagree with this. The old thread is here: different websites for same business