1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Can Keyword Links On Google Non-Indexed Websites Hurt Keyword Rankings

Hi,

If there are websites where Google does not index due to being penalized, and I have keyword links on these types of websites will this lower my keyword rankings even though Google doesn't index these websites?

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If the site is blocking Googlebot then Google is not visiting the site and therefore not seeing the links. However, if the site is not blocking Googlebot, then it can still be crawled and the links can be followed even if the site isn't being indexed. I suppose the best way for you to determine if these links are being considered in your backlink profile is to check Webmaster Tools.

Personally, if Google deindexed this site then I would take the precautionary route. I would recommend removing the links or nofollowing them.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok, thank you!

The reason I'm asking is my website got hit with the last Penguin update and I noticed my keyword rankings drop.

I used LinkDetox to scan my website, and I see these spammy links but these sites are not indexed by Google; so I was wondering if its still a good idea to use the GWT "Disavow Links" tool to remove these back-links even though the sites are not indexed by Google?

Thank you!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by olimits7b
    Ok, thank you!

The reason I'm asking is my website got hit with the last Penguin update and I noticed my keyword rankings drop.

I used LinkDetox to scan my website, and I see these spammy links but these sites are not indexed by Google; so I was wondering if its still a good idea to use the GWT "Disavow Links" tool to remove these back-links even though the sites are not indexed by Google?

Thank you!
    You could remove the links from those sites or nofollow them as I've suggested. If you think you might have other low-quality links, then perhaps proceed with the disavow, but wouldn't trust LinkDetox and I would really recommend you have a professional review your backlink profile if you are going about the Disavow process. Without the proper expertise, you might disavow some links that are sending value to your site.
  9. No Profile Picture

How would I "nofollow" these inbound back-links from other sites?

I can contact the website owner to see if they can remove the back-links, but since these are spammy type websites I'm sure I will most likely not get any help from the webmaster.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I misunderstood. I thought these were sites you own that have been deindexed. If that is not the case then forget the nofollow and move ahead with the disavow.
  13. No Profile Picture

I did a little more research and I see under my GWT "Links to Your Site" that these inbound back-links I want to disavow don't show up in the list but LinkDetox found them. Does that mean that Google is already not taking these back-links into consideration regarding my keyword rankings?

Thank you!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Those are Sample Links and they are not an exhaustive list. It's a better sign that Google is not considering them, but it is better to be safe than sorry and include them in the disavow.