1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Calculate keyword opportunity

Hi guys,

I basically have a list of keywords with data for each one. Basically i want to calculate the potential opportunity for each keyword.

So keywords which have high average monthly searches but low competition would score as high opportunity. Like shown below:

The opportunity doesn't need to be classified as low, medium, high. It can be numbers, so easier to sort.

Any ideas on the best way to calculate this?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Novatronic; Jan 7th, 2016 at 04:33 PM.
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello Novatronic!

Good to see you again

I think our forum is having some trouble displaying that image. It might be because the image link is to an attachment on another forum - following the link directly leads me to a "you must be logged in to view this" page. If possible, could you upload the image to something like imgur or photobucket and try putting the link between [IMG] tags again? Or you can email it to me at markr@imninjas.com and I can try fiddling with it until it works!

Thanks!
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The accuracy of any such method or tool is quite debatable since public online data is impression-based not click-based and the competiveness of each website/page is also based on non-public information. If all competitors allow you access to their privileged information you may have something useful.

Thus a method or tool that could do what you want would be worth serveral billion dollars.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Novatronic
    So keywords which have high average monthly searches but low competition would score as high opportunity. Like shown below:
    Why would they be - maybe they are phrases that are searched alot but those who search it rarely convert and hence why the competition is low which means there is little opportunity....
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Why would they be - maybe they are phrases that are searched alot but those who search it rarely convert and hence why the competition is low which means there is little opportunity....
    Well high opportunity in terms of rankings not commercial intent. You will then need to evaluate the commercial importance of that keyword after that. Opportunity is in terms of volume and competition and doesn't take into consideration commercial importance.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Novatronic
    Opportunity is in terms of volume and competition and doesn't take into consideration commercial importance.
    So why do it? Its possible in your industry the keywords with the most commercial importance are medium volume, medium competition and you want a tool that ignores that. What am I missing?