1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Browser title vs Page title

Does anyone know which has more relevance, the browser title (at the tip top of the page next to the browser icon) or the page title (H1 tag, main title on the page itself). Which would help you rank better?

Reason I ask is because i saw a site that had quite a few keywords stuffed into the browser title (approximately 3-4 different terms) but the page title only targeted one long tail term (3 words). Not being a programmer, I didnt know these could be different and I thought the idea was to create page theme. With both aspects being different, how are they creating page theme? The site is a Yahoo E-commerce site places very well in Google for many terms. They do have lots of backlinks which could also be helping but they cover a wider range of terms by filling the browser title with them. I thought this would have been spamming but they rank very well so I cant imagine them having any penalties applied.

The domain is http://www (dot) tackledirect (dot) com/shimanorods.html. Doing a Yahoo Site explore check for links shows 18 inbound links to this page and they are all from their site. The site itself has lots of external links but I am eager to know if anyone else has any proof that loading the browser title with keyterms while only 1 long tail term for the page title is successful and penalty free.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Last time I checked, the <title> element was indeed more effective than any <h1> element

"Loading with keywords" is probably not the best thing to do, but having keywords in there certainly works.

Comments on this post

• MABDesign agrees : True indeed.
    • fathom agrees
  5. Dancin with the devil

So I am on the same page with you, the <Title> tag is the browser title? I've been using a shopping cart with a backend CMS so I don't see hard code.

Based on the link that I posted, is that considered spamming? I had something similar but far less spammy and I was told that I should shorten it up and lose a few kw's b/c it may be too spammy. I just dont want to implement a change and get the penalty flag thrown at me.

Am I off course with my understanding of page theme? Finding that website threw me off a little.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Browser title

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    So I am on the same page with you, the <Title> tag is the browser title? I've been using a shopping cart with a backend CMS so I don't see hard code.

Based on the link that I posted, is that considered spamming? I had something similar but far less spammy and I was told that I should shorten it up and lose a few kw's b/c it may be too spammy. I just dont want to implement a change and get the penalty flag thrown at me.

Am I off course with my understanding of page theme? Finding that website threw me off a little.
    The browser title or Meta title is arguably the strongest place to place the keyword you want to target.
    h1 or header tags to good too... but they should not be identical. Try to use the keywords but change the tags so to avoid any oop (over optimization penalty).
  9. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by BGreen
    The browser title or Meta title is arguably the strongest place to place the keyword you want to target.
    h1 or header tags to good too... but they should not be identical. Try to use the keywords but change the tags so to avoid any oop (over optimization penalty).
    Wow and all of this time I was thinking that the <Title> and <H1> tag should be the same to build page theme. I definitely misunderstood what the <Title> tag was. Thanks for clarifying.