• Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    ODI
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Bounce rate is a ranking Factor?

Is bounce rate a ranking Factor?
    Some said yes, some said no.
    I am getting confused if it isn't a ranking factor then why and if it is then why?
    Please share your reviews what you guys are thinking about this.
    Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You need to consider Google's search process.

Step 1
    Assess which pages match the search terms.

Step 2
    Assign search ranking points for how the individual words used in a search query occur on a matching page or on those that link to it.

Does bounce rate help in the assessment of these basic word assessing processes?

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!

There has been a huge jump in bounce rates in recent years, simply because so many mobile searchers just want a phone number. They hit a search result and click a link to a phone number and bounce away in 10 secs. That is not a bad search result, it is a good one. Bounce rates offer no consistent indication of a good or bad search result.

There are folk who swallow all sorts of SEO myths.

Ask them to explain how bounce rate helps assess a quality result.

Some SEOChat discussions on the topic:

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    • Chedders agrees
    • Pierre Benneton agrees
    • ODI agrees : Thank you John
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes.. obviously it is ranking factor. Because when your gonna 50% Bounce rate you will be go to red signal to Google penalty. So
    Why you don't think yes or not?

Comments on this post

• Chedders : utter rubbish
    • JohnAimit : Please tell us you are NOT an SEO
  7. No Profile Picture

Yes, I think bounce rate is a big ranking factor.if bounce continuously incrise than your website can not be rank.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit : Google says, NO!
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

There are many examples out there where a visit to a site and leave in under 10 seconds is perfectly normal. For example what is the time in new york, the user clicks and will see the time and leave. It does not make it a poor user experience in the slightest, the user has had their answer answered.

Google have repeatedly said CTR / Bounce rate do not effect rankings, some of the tests I have ran proved the fact it does not either (I increased my CTR by over 20%), I dont know why people continue to think its a ranking factor and why this topic keeps doing the rounds every few weeks.

The only thing it could possible help in is if a site suddenly starts getting a lot clicks, google maybe fooled into thinking it has trending content such as something also in the news. Lets say your site was about tsunamis and suddenly one hits somewhere in the world so everyone is suddenly looking at your page to learn more, this may trigger a signal within google to temporarily lift your page but thats it.

Anything else I am afraid is what SEO bloggers write to gain eyeballs, its just hype that they have found a way to improve your serps and your being suckered into following their myths.

If anyone and I mean anyone can prove by the way of a solid test that increasing CTR or lowering bounce rate effects a pages ranking long term I am all ears but until then lets put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

Comments on this post

• ankit-patel agrees
    • BuzFind agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  11. No Profile Picture

Definitely Bounce rate is ranking factor

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit : Why? Google denies it!
  13. Dinosaur

Originally Posted by sikhamodi

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Excellent response, I would hold my head low too !
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by sikhamodi
    Hi Sikhamodi,

I'd love to know why you believe bounce rate is a ranking factor. I've only ever seen Google deny it.

In the mean time, perhaps some ideas to help lower your site's bounce rates could be useful:

• Add an automatic redirect to all your pages
    • Only list your phone, email address and postal address on pages that include the "noindex" metatag.
    • Most mobile enabled sites I look at, the mobile traffic has around 30% higher bounce rate than desktop. If true for you, immediately disable your mobile enabling of all pages.

Any other folk got ideas how Sikhamodi can lower his/her bounce rate?
  17. Dinosaur

How about if you use one of them silly popups informing the user they are about to leave the page on exit. That would slow down the user while they hunt for the leave button (make it small), you could get really sneaky and instead of allowing them to exit send them to another page on your site and repeat.

Of course a total bad user experience and would annoy your users no end so they never return but it would lower your bounce rate as they would not be able to get back to google to bounce. LOL So a fool prove way to get your bounce rate to zero. I bet you would be #1 in your niche in no time at all. (NOT)
  19. No Profile Picture

Your site bounce rate is crucial factor in your search engine rankings. If you have a high bounce rate, you may find results in lower rankings. Similarly, low bounce rate will offer meaningfully gear up rankings.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton : ..... What to say ..... if you pretend to be an SEO please change job ASAP.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Kereana K
    Your site bounce rate is crucial factor in your search engine rankings. If you have a high bounce rate, you may find results in lower rankings. Similarly, low bounce rate will offer meaningfully gear up rankings.
    If you pose a question on Google, a 100% bounce rate could mean the searcher found the answer on the first page they accessed.

That would be a good search result, wouldn't it.

Anything less than 100% could mean it was a bad search page and the searcher had to try to find the answer elsewhere on the site.

It would be just as logical to believe that Google demotes pages with low bounce rates.

Please provide a single Google reference that supports your belief. I've only seen G say it ignores "engagement" signals like bounce rates.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 22nd, 2017 at 01:07 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Bounce rate is affect your website traffic and ranking.. If your website bounce rate is high it's not good, some search engine watch it and evaluate your website.. I think it's not good...
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

This thread makes the lady in red look dull in comparison.

Jeez...... Do any of you folks expounding bounce rate as a ranking signal ever use Google ???? You should....

Google "John Mueller on bounce rate" you will get the same results as I did.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the animal drink until it is ready to ! All I can do is provide the information to educate yourself, but hey, we still have flat earthers, we still have folks proclaiming atrocities in the past didn't happen, so I guess its fair to say, its ok you folks think bounce rate is a signal, even tho it is NOT !

Keep thinking this way and you will fail at SEO ! You will just increase my client base. Which for me is good.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...nal-23671.html

Here is another just so you know its not a fluke listing.....
    https://www.esearchlogix.com/2017/04...oogle-says-no/

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : This myth is as hard to kill as the keyword metatag
  27. No Profile Picture
    ODI
    Contributing User

So the conclusion is, it is just a rumor. Thank you, everyone, one for your valuable comments and suggestion and cbait121, I heard this first time it is a signal to Google to penalized your website.
  29. No Profile Picture

Yes, bounce rate is also one of the ranking factors according to search engines. If your website’s landing page is not interesting & eye-catchy, visitors leave the web page. So, you need to try to reduce bounce rate of the website for good keyword ranking.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit : When did G EVER say it uses bounce rates?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: