1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Beyond Frustrated with SEO

I need to vent.
    My party supplies website went through quite the transformation since 2016 when I learned about the importance of original content, copyright and consistent good quality images to describe our products.
    I spent what we don't yet generate in copyrighting and original content generation.
    I work 2 to 3 hours every night (after my regular bills-paying job) on the titles, page titles, meta descriptions, keywords etc.
    But, is no where near the first page, nor the second page. It ranks on the third page for most of our keywords or search criteria.
    I'm relying exclusively on social media to generate somewhat traffic.
    YET, one of our closest (size wise) competitors, whose website is messy, dis articulated, lacks descriptions and copywritting, is terrible to navigate thru, is even higher than US monster Party City. WTH?!
    Not to mention they also spend an absurd amount of money to be first on the list of paid ads 24/7.

I want to cry a little.

Every "test" available we have run, without any bad results at least that my limited knowledge on this subject, can identify.

So, there, you SEO experts are frigging geniuses. This is ridiculously hard and impossible. I'm hopeless and annoyed at seeing our traffic thru the sub-floor.

Rant over. Thanks for your attention.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Hey, I feel your pain - SEO can be very challenging. I would be happy to check out your URL and give you some feed back. Either post your URL here, PM me or mail me at my user name @ gmail . com.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

One needs to think like a computer, that's all Google is.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Totally. I have also been told that Google encourages that websites include descriptions that are easy to read for humans, while including those key words that will facilitate positioning on the search engines. This what is so puzzling to me, as I see sites that are very "mechanical and robotic" ranking first and all major search engines... I just dont get it.
  9. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Content is not King. Google likes big links.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Valid point
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I could ask twenty questions about the condition of your website, but I would rather not.

It is not unusual for a website to have a technical error that can be the root cause of your type of ills. Just an FYI, everyone here that has responded to your post knows quite a bit about SEO.

I am sure if you were to post your website domain name as suggested by tstolber, without http / https / www, you would get some positive feedback. The worst thing that can happen is we will not be able to help you decipher your problem. On the other hand, it is very possible, we may be able to help you solve your "WOES". What have you got to lose ??

Just FYI, you could have an error in your robots.txt, or if your site is done in wordpress, you may have ticked that "discourage search engines" box. If your site is on linux server, you could have an error in your htaccess file. Like I stated above, I would rather not play 20 Questions.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Mar 10th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  13. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    One needs to think like a computer, that's all Google is.
    Agree so I must say we would need for human not for the computer
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Are u talking about links coming from websites with high DA?

And why content is not king. If not content, then what?
    Content was and still is one of the most important topics in all SEO discussions.
    Link building? Not so much any more, as they tend to be related to spammy and black hat techniques.
  17. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Just as important as each other in my opinion. Especially in E-commerce.

1. 200 pages with thin content, with good links
    vs
    2. 200 pages with awesome, lengthy descriptions but with the lesser backlink profile

I'm not so sure the 1. would take it (although it wouldn't surprise me). The issue is, smaller companies don't tend to have the time to do awesome descriptions on all their products. It's very time consuming

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it's more a case of Content SHOULD Be King, but currently links still have a great amount of power.
    There is still a push to make content more important and that websites work for users rather than search engines, but its not yet the case.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees
  21. Professional SEO

I am not saying content it not important. It is just that it is not important enough in the Google Algorithm. Perhaps there is an argument for content being king in Yahoo/Bing. I think people are attracted to the idea that content is king, because it gives them a greater sense of control over their rankings.

Matt Cutts said years ago they were wanting to move away from links being in the equation, and focus more on the merit of a site. Hasn't happened. As far as I can tell, links have become even more important.
    Last edited by DirectHits; Mar 12th, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
  23. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I agree with you content could be the reason for acquiring links and Google Influences by big links
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:52 AM.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi
    Until unless we see and review your website we can just assume that this may the reason for not ranking on 1st page.
    After analyzing your website any SEO professional can give you expert advice that this is the issue and you must sort out this.
    And regarding SEO - today time SEO is tough we need to test and try different different tricks to get 1st page ranking.