1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best way to learn SEO

What is the best way to learn SEO?

I've been using various website audits tools. They all seem to say my on page SEO is good (I don't know how reliable these tools are)
    Now I've become stuck and can't seem to get any further with the site when it comes to rankings.
    I've been told I need backlinks, but don't know how to get them, I've been reading article after article and aren't getting anywhere.

How did you all learn SEO?
    Last edited by Colette1984; Mar 15th, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Welcome to the ever changing world of SEO, what was working not too long ago, no longer works today. It's like going to school, all the time.

There are still some human edited directories that still carry some weight. Spend the time to find them, then create accounts and get you some backlinks.

Now don't over look the effect of regular no follow links, placed in the right spot, they will drive traffic to your site. Now think about your product, think about places to get a no follow link that would benefit your product with some exposure.
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

And download and read Google's SEO Starter Guide.
  7. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Once we target any keywords then we would need to remember two circumstances that include competitiveness of the targeted niches and the sites those are getting ranked on top 10 and what kind of works that they have done or strategies that are being followed by them.

1) lets take an an example, if you select "Air conditioning services in Las Vegas" and other keywords that are around this then at first you will think this is not high competitive keyword but if you review their competitors those are on the top slot then you will find they have done very good works that include building of citations and good no. of review and some good links from their own networks ( that includes friends or client sites)

So, if you want to target this kind of local keyword then you should follow some of below my own finding.

i) First, you should follow all local listing checkpoints that include properly optimized (using proper schema and all), fixing of inconsistent data, creating new links through vertical sites.
    You can get more on it from Local rank How often is it updated?

ii) Review and filter your competitor's backlinks then you will notice find most of the good backlinks are coming as the referral from their own networks like friends sites or their client sites. In that case, you would need to figure your own relevant ways from where you can get some referrals or you can offer them for free work and if they will be happy with your work then aftersome times ask your recommendations from their site.

ii) You should work for your content of your blog/ articles that must be written as per your audiaces and that will help to establish your branding as your users will share and recommend your content.

iii) You must be write something about your "USP (unique selling points)" branding distribute it through press releases channels.
    That will also help to boost your branding and you can get some referrat through this.

You can figure out can figure out this through your SWOT analysis including competitor's analysis .

Different niches have the different requirement for organic rankings but still there is not any substitute for qualified content. No matter what kind of keywords are being optimized from your site.
    Initially you should do outreach your content and after sometimes you should stop this becasue once fisttime you will do get some traffice on your content then 2nd time user automatically returns on your site and once they will find your content is good then you will get good referralls automaticlly but only thing is that how to you write the content for your site.
    You can get some tips from https://moz.com/blog/how-to-create-c...-earning-links
    Follow are the tools that will help for creating topics and the content as per your target

AnswerThePublic.com: that free visual keyword research & content ideas tool
    https://www.hubspot.com/blog-topic-generator
    Soovle - Let the web help.
    https://ubersuggest.io/

But I understand there are very less room where we can get linkjuice from external resouces for that i must say as knowonespecial suggeste that you would need to figureout some human editted directry there are lees in no. but it works. Additionally you should figure out your friend's or client sites from where you can get somebacklinks
    You can get some tips from Off-Page SEO in 2016 - Quick intro

Recently i commented at keywords not ranking that is not exactly the same questions but I am sure that will give yous some insightful as per your questions.

I hope that will help
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 15th, 2017 at 01:14 PM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for all your replies. I've been reading about Brandon and his baseball cards for the last 5 years or so in the Google SEO Starter guide.

It's not that my keywords don't rank at all, it's just that a lot of them are on pages 3-5 and sometime lower.

Prof Stan - Thank you for links, I'll have a read through them all
  11. No Profile Picture

The best way to learn SEO is through hands-on experience and experimentation. There are a lot of smart people out there sharing killer content, but the best education you can get comes from seeing for yourself. Get your feet wet.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
  13. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Additionally, i must say most of the time I stick around SEO chat and moz.com and apply some stuff that I understand that need to be followed in my SEOing and sometimes I get the results.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello Colette1984! You've come to the right place to learn about SEO, get recommendations and help. In my SEO talk, when I mention the word 'Rank', to me it means 'ranking on page 1' or 'ranking on the top 3 positions'. There are good tools out there that can get you started with auditing your site but before you can use them, you need to learn more about SEO (the recommendations I posted in this thread are good) first because the audit tool might mention something that you are not familiar with.

There are some good SEO sites/forums/books, and there are some bad ones. SEOchat is one of the best place to get to know SEO. Can you share your site's name so someone can take a look and help you?

Peace