1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best SEO strategy for an e-commerce website

As I was searching this forum trying to figure out what it the best way to retain rank when you have to use a shopping cart I found the following:

Many shopping carts have category pages, product pages and checkout pages (that are on https).

I don't use category pages or product pages made by the shopping cart. Instead I have "buy buttons" on normal website pages that place items into the https section of the cart.

All of my category and product pages are placed on the site wherever I want them. They can be on pages in any folder across the site.

They can be on html pages with article content, on product pages with descriptions, and on pages that feature videos of the product and explain how to use it.

If your shopping system allows you to use buy buttons consider placing them on content pages or beefing up the content on your product pages with video and article content.

If you want to be competitive don't build an e-commerce site. Instead build an information site with buy buttons.
    If that is true, and for what I know about seo I believe it is, how do I implement point of sale marketing strategies.

I am referring to the fact that with an e-commerce solution (I was looking at Bigcommerce) I can plug in several point of sale marketing strategies apps (customer reviews, coupons, loyalty program and integrate with quickbooks), which we need to do, but if I have the products pages on the website and link from there to the check out page of the shopping cart, I bypass the shopping cart product pages which is where the cart implements all various point of sale marketing strategies.

On the other end if I put the product pages on the cart (subdomain) I loose the content (the product descriptions are 80% or our site content) and therefore ranking power.

Which is the best e-commerce website structure which allows you to retain existing search engine ranking and utilize the convenience of (plug & play) point of sale marketing strategies. (html and css is all the programming I can handle, that's why I need the 'packaged' cart, its management features and the plug & play apps).

Any insight on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thank you
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Moved to "Search Engine Optimization"
    Hopefully, you'll get some help here!
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you looking for best eCommerce solutions then there are Magneto, Prestashop, openkart they are search engine friendly and provide various extension and plug-in to maintain better search engine ranking. If you want to study about SEO then beginners guide to SEO is good option. Let’s take look what problem occurs with eCommerce platform -

Website speed - Using CDN network can be good option to improve website speed because website speed is very common issue eCommerce website.

Duplicate URLs - Some time due to poor pagination there are huge problem occur in eCommerce website for duplicate content/page issues.

Ugly URLs - Few CMS do not support search friendly URLs however few extension or plugin can assist.

Anyway if you have already optimized your web store and just looking for promotion trick then you can follow

1. Do proper keyword research using keyword planner tool from Google AdWords
    2. Include those high search volume keywords with good competition in your content, keeping keyword density less than 4%
    3. Create Good titles with target keywords included in it.
    4. Use alt tags for your images
    5. optimize your websites url's,include keywords in your urls
    6. get social, start promoting your website on social media networks
    7. start bookmarking your website in social bookmarking websites like digg, delicious, pinterest, stumbleupon etc.
    8. share your content on Google+, it provides do-follow backlinks
    9. Do proper intetnal linking among pages on your website, use breadcrumb for your website, it helps in improving search rankings
    10. build some external links for your website, follow these methods