1. No Profile Picture
    rwh
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best practice regarding multiple domains and sub domains assigned to same ip

I have a question regarding multiple domains being assigned to the same web server.

The company i work for use one IIS web server, to bind multiple domain names and sub domains to the same website. Currently this is done by the web server binding all hosted domain names to the same virtual web folder, would it be better to create a folder for each domain and make a 301 redirect to our primary domain?

The reason i'm asking this question, i can't seem to find any information on weather or not the search engines sees the sites as one site, or multiple sites with the same content with the risk of duplicate content.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hosting multiple domains on the same IP address (shared hosting) are considered in the eyes of Google one BIG website.

So that means that other peoples (including your own) websites "can" impact the ranking of your website.

With that said, it usually does not matter too much with websites in local markets. I rank websites (on the front pages of Google) in local markets and I use shared hosting without any issues.

But in very competitive (no local geo-targeting) I would use dedicated IP addresses to eliminate any interference from the "trashy" or "off-topic" websites.