1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best Practice for Long Tail keywords on ecommerce?

Hi

I'm thinking of taking the dive and start doing some long tail keyword articles

my main domain is quite popular on the ecommerce front, but i want to start building it up to get more traffic and get the brand out there a bit more

i have a magento installation

first is it better to have .com/article-title
    or .com/blog/article-title

if the former, i would need to setup the articles in magento and have them linked via a blog link in the footer
    but if the latter i would install joomla or wordpress in a blog folder (good or bad idea for security?)

any tips would be appreciated
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Really just preference. I would install Wordpress over using Magento's static pages. Not really a security issue either way. Wordpress or Joomla would be it's own separate database.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • craigseo agrees : wordpress is ideal
  5. No Profile Picture

I took the dive and it definitely feels like the right thing, its on a /blog and i will build it up before linking it on my main site. Feeling positive about it, i am not linking back to too many of my ecommerce site links, just mainly the home page and the pages i want to push the juice to, would this be the best thing? rather than adding all sorts of links, ie returns, terms, etc.
    Last edited by ajphoenix; Oct 16th, 2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: i accidentally wrote, "not on a " completely changed the meaning! i am on a /blog.
  7. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by ajphoenix
    Hi

I'm thinking of taking the dive and start doing some long tail keyword articles

my main domain is quite popular on the ecommerce front, but i want to start building it up to get more traffic and get the brand out there a bit more

i have a magento installation

first is it better to have .com/article-title
    or .com/blog/article-title

if the former, i would need to setup the articles in magento and have them linked via a blog link in the footer
    but if the latter i would install joomla or wordpress in a blog folder (good or bad idea for security?)

any tips would be appreciated
    As others have suggested wordpress is ideal as my own preference. But dont think your taking the plunge going for long tail keywords, that is part of most peoples SEO stratgey and works very well at the start, which over time you can then start to hone in on more competitive search terms
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the assurances, i rank 1 for my main keywords, but i want to branch this out internationally too, so thats why i'm doing this push now.

I was worried about having too much content etc, but as long as it is all quality and i can funnel the link juice rather than having loads of links on the homepage, weakening my home page. but a simple blog link will help get the blog ranked and then hopefully get the articles ranked quite well.

I am quite excited about the possibilities now, any tips would be appreciated, i have so far applied my knowledge from the past few years to it, but i have never been one for article writing, i don't intend to outsource it, as i want it to have real quality.

Any tips like, image names, alt tags on image articles, etc anything would be helpful.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by aiphoenix
    I am quite excited about the possibilities now, any tips would be appreciated, i have so far applied my knowledge from the past few years to it, but i have never been one for article writing, i don't intend to outsource it, as i want it to have real quality.

Any tips like, image names, alt tags on image articles, etc anything would be helpful

May I suggest that you go look at amazon dot com. Study their site, look closely at how they target the products they sell. You could learn a lot from the way they use product name + description to create long tails.

Also check this thread out here... See what KernalPanic has to say about the long tail, and exactly what it is and how it's to be used. contained in the MOZ article he posted.

http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/search-engine-optimization-questions-answers-487568.html

A nice bit of info for you....
  13. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'd always distinguish my /blog/ vs. non blog traffic to understand the traffic and user behaviour (who reads the blogs, where they are going ), etc.
    Data Oriented SEO and Digital Marketing is the only way to go in modern days.
    Los Angeles SEO Consultant | Data Scientist at Analytics Clarity
  15. No Profile Picture

I would go for WordPress as well. WordPress is built for managing articles while Magento is made for e-commerce.