1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Below the fold content

Hi guys,

I have been wondering for a while if our below-the-fold content is hurting us in rankings due to potential user experience issues.

Can you guys take a look at the following two links and advise of a page redesign. My gut feeling is to bring the body of content above the fold.

www carkeys co.uk /news/forget-tesla-gm-has-made-the-first-mass-market-electric-car

www carkeys co.uk/car-reviews/land-rover/discovery-sport-sw

Thanks

HJJ
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I saw one of your articles being shared on a subaru owners club facebook page, small world.

Now, instead of relying on your gut (which I agree with) why not have data to prove it?

Use a tool like:
    https://www.hotjar.com/r/r5a5510 - found a referral link - I get no money but when if 5 people sign up I get a t-shirt! ;) https://www.hotjar.com/ if you don't want to click a referral link (completely fine with that)
    or
    Crazy Egg - Visualize where your visitors click

You'll get to see how far a user scrolls down the page and where they interact.

I use both of these on different sites, they are as good as each other. Here's an example of what I get on my personal homepage (really nothing special, haven't done anything to the site either etc) https://insights.hotjar.com/h?site=1...9661a284ad3bfb The "scroll" section is what will be of most use to you.

I swear, the amount of software I suggest I should really be paid by these companies!

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
    Last edited by ThomasHarvey; Jan 12th, 2016 at 05:14 AM.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The above / below the fold is a interesting question, there is clear evidence that above the fold content generates more sales / clicks etc but as for helping in terms of ranking I am not so sure any more.
    There was definitely a time when google used to favour above the fold content but I have not read or tested if that is still the case. I would assume so but I would not be surprised if the importance has diminished over the last few years.

The software Thomas recommends is great for analysing user activity and you can learn a hell of a lot by using these tools and fine tune your site to improve conversions but getting users to the site in the first place may be a different story.