Thread: Baidu

1. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Baidu

Anyone familiar with this search engine: baidu.com

It's a Chinese SE and has an Alexa rank of #18. Being in Thailand, we get quite a lot of Chinese tourists. I'm thinking of having a Chinese version of my site and optimizing it specifically for Baidu and Chinese visitors... Good idea or a waste of time (and money)?
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  3. Contributing User

Originally Posted by thegodfather
    Anyone familiar with this search engine: baidu.com

It's a Chinese SE and has an Alexa rank of #18. Being in Thailand, we get quite a lot of Chinese tourists. I'm thinking of having a Chinese version of my site and optimizing it specifically for Baidu and Chinese visitors... Good idea or a waste of time (and money)?
    Yeah i have heard about this SE and also read sometime back that it's the number one in China. If your site has a decent traffic rate, then i guess it's not a bad idea. You being there, must be in a good position to judge about this idea.
    Upload Music - My Friend's Musical Passion!
    SEO Chat FAQ's
    Worried About PR? Read This First!
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!
  5. In the game since Jan '06

I've just translated my homepage (kalaraco.com/index_cn.html), with a prominent link on the normal English homepage pointing to it.

I've used a free online translation for now (I know it's probably not accurate), just to see how it pans out. If the page gets visits, I'll get a professional translation.

I've submitted my site to Baidu (none of my competitors are indexed in Baidu yet). I imagine it will take a few weeks until it gets indexed.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by thegodfather
    I've just translated my homepage (kalaraco.com/index_cn.html), with a prominent link on the normal English homepage pointing to it.

I've used a free online translation for now (I know it's probably not accurate), just to see how it pans out. If the page gets visits, I'll get a professional translation.

I've submitted my site to Baidu (none of my competitors are indexed in Baidu yet). I imagine it will take a few weeks until it gets indexed.
    Your post reminded me to add my new sites. A few keyword searches I see Baidu include English websites.

Here's the add url page:
    http://www.baidu.com/search/url_submit.html
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If I had a business like yours I would be attacking the Baidu SERPs.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you want to rank well on Baidu I strongly recommend you arrange hosting within mainland China. This is because Baidu favours sites located within China's firewall in its rankings.

Also, sites hosted outside the great firewall are extremely slow loading (or often blocked intermittently/entirely) for Chinese users, making them a far less attractive destination for Chinese Internet users.
  13. In the game since Jan '06

According to Google Analytics, I've already had a few people looking on the Chinese version, even 5 or 6 actually from China... No enquiries yet though. Baidu still hasn't indexed the site (I know, I know - it takes time)...