Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A storm's a brewin

Hey Guys,
    I figure I would share this article with everyone regarding the next big Google update:

Google's Matt Cutts On Upcoming Penguin, Panda & Link Networks Updates

I'm curious to see what the effects will be this time around, it's supposed to be pretty substantial.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

That article looks like it is playing up the fear factor. The hardest fact they show is that Cutts confirmed they are going after one or two major link networks.
    If you are getting a lot of links from a paid network or obvious spam, disavow. Otherwise I wouldn't worry *too* much.

What will be, will be.

Comments on this post

• Grizzler agrees : Will be watching the 'Google killed my site' threads after the update.
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Fear factor? I doubt if there is an SEO or webmaster alive that does not feel something when Google pre-announces like this. "I do white hat only" is what most of us say. I am one of those that say that a lot, but worry about my acts of "gray" that go unspoken. Stay tuned.

Comments on this post

• TcxAnthony agrees : It is definitely undeniable that 2012's update was huge, worried a bit myself
    • realityhack agrees : Fair enough, but I thoguth the article was over the top. OMFG the sky is falling!!!1!!111!!! - Sorry no rep for you.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. Contributing User

There is nothing to worry about really unless you like to spam-a-lot everywhere on other sites. If you think you will be affected then do what realityhack suggests.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Fear factor? I doubt if there is an SEO or webmaster alive that does not feel something when Google pre-announces like this. "I do white hat only" is what most of us say. I am one of those that say that a lot, but worry about my acts of "gray" that go unspoken. Stay tuned.
    Isn't half of SEO "grey" these days? Or rather been "grey" for some time now lol

I must agree, when I do anything these days, its always in the back of my head "will google dislike this somehow in the next update" even when I earn a basic link from a blog talking about me (or rather a client) it's always in the back of my head "when will google kill this one even though I didn't make it!"

Fear is something that google owns these days, and I'm sure its something mostly every seo has in the back of there heads even for the things they currently know google likes, for the time being at least!

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Fair enough, but I thoguth the article was over the top. OMFG the sky is falling!!!1!!111!!!
    The sky falls at least once a year in the seo world, didn't you know that?!

Matt said that there will be a large Penguin update in 2013 that he thinks will be one of the more talked about Google algorithm updates this year. Google’s search quality team is working on a major update to the Penguin algorithm, which Cutts called very significant.
    So, expect a major Penguin release that may send ripples through the SEO industry this year.
    Yeah this is when google drop organic search and becomes a paid only engine lol
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by NathanielB

Yeah this is when google drop organic search and becomes a paid only engine lol
    The sad thing is I can totally see that lmao
  13. Agency SEO

Unless you buy links from a guy named Yakov I think you'll be fine. If you have been paying attention at least a little bit over the past couple of years Pandas and Penguins should not haunt your dreams.

In Soviet Russia you don't build links, links build you! At least until Cutts finds out
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Mar 12th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
  15. SEO Since 97

Googles going after some link networks, and you know how they found them?
    The disavow tool that's been in motion for the last couple of months, I knew that's what they were using it for.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : The 'disavow tool' kiss of death has indentified the link sellers. Good strategy.
    • NewDelhiSEO agrees : thats right, I have resisted all temptation till now from link networks and disavow tool.
  17. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Googles going after some link networks, and you know how they found them?
    The disavow tool that's been in motion for the last couple of months, I knew that's what they were using it for.
    How do you know this?
  19. SEO Since 97

How do you know this?
    I'm not 100 percent positive but I'd put my money it.
    If it was a bet in Vegas...the odds would be IMO 99 to 1.
    It's only logical, right?

Why else would they want that data? I can't think of any other reason.
  21. Roll the dice.. and live

Most link networks seem to have at their core expired domains and 301 redirects. I would think if new penguin did something about better killing all juice from expired domains that have been re purchased they would kill virtually all blog link networks..
    Live the moment
  23. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Gaz... Couldn't stay away could you?

I tend to agree with your comment. Such networks, once the structure and pattern is identified by Google, will be easy for them to find and crush.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : lol... never said I would not post but just not post much anymore... Still who knows maybee seo will become alive again with the next Google change...
  25. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I'm not 100 percent positive but I'd put my money it.
    If it was a bet in Vegas...the odds would be IMO 99 to 1.
    It's only logical, right?

Why else would they want that data? I can't think of any other reason.
    I would have to agree and I'm quite sure a number of us here and on other sites said we thought google would use the data from the tool at a later date, but I don't know if it will be soon as I would have thought they would want to more time to check all the data?! Maybe they have something set in place to make a master list of some sort which grabs all the links reported more then x times?

But how do they not know links put in the tool are not from people trying to do harm to competitors? That's the only thing that makes me question whether they will be using the data so early!

Still who knows maybee seo will become alive again with the next Google change...
    Not sure about becoming alive again, but we will most likely see a lot of new threads asking "why have all my rankings gone?" yet again!
  27. SEO Since 97

I would have to agree and I'm quite sure a number of us here and on other sites said we thought google would use the data from the tool at a later date, but I don't know if it will be soon as I would have thought they would want to more time to check all the data?! Maybe they have something set in place to make a master list of some sort which grabs all the links reported more then x times?

But how do they not know links put in the tool are not from people trying to do harm to competitors? That's the only thing that makes me question whether they will be using the data so early!
    just think about how many of these lists they've received..I'd bet it in the thousands. There's no need for them to go through any of em..slap them in a data base and see how many times different urls show up how many times...pick a number then devalue or de-index anything above that number.
    Their going after the link spam not the site one would try and harm a competitor with.
  29. Agency SEO

Still who knows maybee seo will become alive again with the next Google change... .
    Wow I don't understand this comment. We are on course to double in size again by the end of 2014. We just hired 2 more associates and are looking for 2 more. SEO has never been so alive.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: