Thread: Anyone use AMP?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Anyone use AMP?

I started looking into AMP, but before implementing, I wanted to know if the benefits outweigh the hassle of implementing it into my files. I tried implementing it into one page and it seemed to throw everything out of wack. Forms wouldn't submit and images needed changed.

Can AMP be implemented for only certain pages on a site or does Google want the entire site to have it? Do you need a mobile and non-mobile page?

Anyone have any good videos or articles (besides google's documents) which shows how to incorporate it?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Anyone know?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello there.

Yes you're right. There will be a lot of hassle implementing AMP into a website even if it's using a popular CMS.

The point is Google is starting to give enormous weight to mobile search and considers it as a strong quality signal ( I believe so ).

And note that AMP may not be good for the websites using advertising networks for making money and in fact, it reduces your income.

And about the technical stuff, the AMP version can be done using a web application which uses those AMP HTML tags and converts the page into AMP version OR just creates its own AMP version using your website content ( DB ).
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I use AMP and successfully implemented it on my site!

• Does AMP improve your SEO? I don't believe it does (at this moment)
    • Can AMP be implemented only on selected pages? Yes it can!
    • Is it difficult to implement? That will depend on the tools (CMS, hard coded) you used to design the website.

AMP is not the mobile version of your site per say because it removes all the additional features (third party JavaScript and Forms, commenting system for example) your desktop/mobile versions have, to make the page load even 4x faster.

Do I recommend AMP? It will not hurt your site.

As far as Videos to help you implement AMP on your site, you haven't provided us with an important piece of information to help us help you, which is: How is your website designed? Are you using a CMS and if so, which one.

I hope this helps!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks. I code my own site (hard-coded). What is the point of using AMP if it disables any third-party JS? That would eliminate jQuery and all other big libraries. I could just remove all of that myself and make a different file.

I found there is a way to make forms work, but without the use of js it would be pretty primitive, as it would eliminate the ability for ajax calls and you would have to rely solely on the action/target. I even tried doing this, using the recommended AMP form library and changing actions to action-xhr, but no luck.
  11. No Profile Picture

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What does this show?

Originally Posted by validseo
  15. No Profile Picture

Page number on the x axis. Number of results with AMP on the y axis. Correlation coefficient was very weak on AMP versus rank position in Google. If it is a factor it is a very weak factor, but this could be a false signal simply because almost nobody is using it.

My opinion... I'd wager it is not a factor at this time and the data probably shows that a very small number of websites are playing with it at this time.
  17. No Profile Picture

Use AMP supremecy

Originally Posted by pfar54
    I started looking into AMP, but before implementing, I wanted to know if the benefits outweigh the hassle of implementing it into my files. I tried implementing it into one page and it seemed to throw everything out of wack. Forms wouldn't submit and images needed changed.

Can AMP be implemented for only certain pages on a site or does Google want the entire site to have it? Do you need a mobile and non-mobile page?

Anyone have any good videos or articles (besides google's documents) which shows how to incorporate it?
    I am using AMP supremacy. It is very easy to use. Drag & Drop feature and live preview. You can have for specific page as well as.
    Most importantly it is absolutely free.
  19. No Profile Picture

You can also take a look at this article about probable importance of AMP in future: 'searchengineland.com/3-predictions-future-seo-273758'
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google's AMP is about page load on mobile devices. It is not about communications, per se.

It was initially aimed at the Newspaper publishing world. Those shared news article adverts were huge revenue sources to G.

G is also not alone in offering speed solutions to the Newspaper world. Facebook's solution is "Instant Articles".

There are a lot of communication limitations inherent in AMP page execution. I've read recent articles about certain Newspapers dropping AMP page publishing because of these limitations.

Will there be a better communicating, fast loading solution soon? With all the current problems, I'd bet there are lots working on the problems.

Who will win this one? I believe it will be more drawn out than G would like. (Let's not forget that G has more failures behind it than successes. Anyone remember Wave? Anyone still have an active G+ account? The linked page claims "50 failures and still counting")

AMP in G's algo. At present AMP is definitely NOT part of G's ranking algo. G's algo is totally based on desktop pages with the exception of a very small fixed boost for mobile pages.

G will need to make huge algo changes if it ever intends to rank AMP pages. My understanding is that the code strips out so many currently used ranking signals. What will G use to rank them instead?

At present G is lagging way behind with the implementation of its mobile index. That would seem to involve fewer inherent ranking signal changes than AMP.

I smell the frequently encountered odour of SEO scare tactics behind the push for AMP page conversions!

I'm not routinely recommending that clients add AMP page publishing to their sites. I don't expect this to change in the next 12+ months.

PS. There is a lot of discussion about the mess AMP pages can make of Analytics reports. If you are implementing it, you may want to check that out.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 3rd, 2017 at 03:26 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

I only got it because I use it as a service for a few newspaper/magazine clients I have who would actually benefit from amp.

We do have it set up to where only select pages have AMP settings.
  25. No Profile Picture

I have been having issues with my plug-in so that is why I won't recommend it but I will check it the ones aforementioned here.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo