1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Any experience or opinions on long lists?

Greetings,

I manage a domain which uses a very long list of product categories,
    each category can have sub categories, and those sub categories can have further categories etc.

And the end of the day, once the code is generated into HTML via the browser, the list alone is over 2000 lines of html and js.

Keep in mind, the actual content is very short, 50 to 100 words so im a little concerned with [fluff], every page has the same
    ridiculously long list and Im weary that this might effect the SEO standard of the website. Its basically the same duplicated list on every page,
    However, the list is hidden with JS and only visible when you click/toggle something

I have been looking for an option where html can be included into the document without it being seen in the source code,
    obviously this is not an option so this is what i am considering:

1. Only show the list if there is a valid session. Basically , hide the list from Google so they only see the core/product content.

2. Using Jqueries load function i could add the list on a trigger. so the html list doesnt exist until it is requested.

3. I could use ajax to fetch the data as needed but I really dont like this option, i
    prefer having everything readily available and showing/hiding as needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with long menu lists or similar.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

One thing that immediately jumped out at me was in your consideration #1... don't think of your list/pages in terms of showing/hiding CODE from GOOGLE, you need to focus on showing/hiding CONTENT/DATA to the USER.

Your site users, and how they experience your site (easy to get the information they are looking for) should always be priority #1.

That being said there are a number of sites that people use everyday that deal with long lists in a number of different ways (Pinterest, facebook feeds, ebay, amazon). Perhaps take a look at some of these and make lists of the pros and cons of how they handle their data. Then give it a shot with some A-B testing, and let your analytics make the decision for you.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein