Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Any backlink is a good backlink?

Hi. New to SEO, with a new web site up, and embarking on a link campaign.

I've had little luck finding web sites that I want to create reciprocal links to, so I thought I'd concentrate on one-way links. Is there such thing as a bad inbound link (save for link farms or links from unrelated sources)?
    Should I just drop a link at every opportunity (forums, blogs, directories)?
    And are outbound links from my web site worth making much effort over?

Would love to hear some good advice.
  3. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would say, not all backlinks are good but none of them hurts.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    not all back links are good, some sites might be banned or has bad reputation.

it will be best to choose links related to your site and of good quality as well

Comments on this post

• pro_seo : None of your backlinks can hurt you. Period!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Chris

If you are getting one way then any link is welcome whether it has PR or not, whether it is from any site. It may help somewhere even if not in google but if you are linking back to them then you need to look at all the factors. What will you gain from it ? And what are you giving in return? The other site should be relevant and should not have anything negative associated with it. Also the link should not be from 100 links on a link page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try to get the back links only from relevant and quality sites. Relevancy matters well.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : Absolutely - quality not quanitity. Non relevant links won't hurt you but they definately won't help you. So for me that equals a waste of time.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by markov
    Try to get the back links only from relevant and quality sites. Relevancy matters well.
    Relevancy matters because better links are worth more. There is no such thing as a bad link though, but that link may be worth damn near zero. I wouldn't invest countless hours into getting any link any where because that may be a waste of time. Although every link may count, you may be able to get greater returns investing time in content and getting better quality links, perhaps less, but better quality .

1 Great PR 6 link from nice content is better than 5000 PR 0 new web links. (for example.)

Comments on this post

• pro_seo agrees : Exactly
  13. Angel down from Heaven

All backlinks are good as long as you don't link back to bad site.

The more you get related backlinks the better you can get good rankings.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Backlinks from any source, unless it is nofollowed, has some value attached to it.

There is no such thing as a BAD backlink. Even links from Bad neighborhoods (link farms) can't hurt your site..yes, I wrote what you just read. Maybe the value of such links is very low..but can never harm your site for it.

You have no control over your Inbound links and so google won't penalize you for it.

It's when YOU link to a link farm then you run a potential risk at your end.

Regarding outbound links, linking out to some related authority sites help increase your trust rank, quality score and can avoid your site from going in the google sandbox.

I don't hesitate linking out voluntarily to any authority site on my topic or in fact any site that I feel would benefit my visitors.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  17. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by chrisbroad
    all back links are not good, some sites might be banned

it will be best to choose links related to your site and of good quality as well as good title, keywords etc

if ur site pages are nice than u have getting many good backlinks.

thanx
    It does not matter if a site is banned. That just means the link is worthless it is not bad No inbound link can hurt you. Otherwise everyone would just pay banned sites to link to there competators.

But do not waste time thinking forum links, blog links etc can help you much. Most of these links as so close to worthless the help would be similar to peeing on a forest fire.

Put your energy into things that really help. Not those things that 'just may help a teeny weeny little bit'.

These things are called time wasting distractions......
    Live the moment
  19. No Profile Picture

Backlink quality

Backlinks are more about quality than anything else, you got to watch out for where you throw your links. Don't go putting them into link farms. While it is easy to do this, it only really hurts your rank.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

None of the backlinks is bad. You're site will not be penalized because bad sites are linking to you. However not all the backlinks are good. Here are the 3 things that matters for backinks:
    - Page Rank - higher the better
    - the number of outgoing links on that page (if one page has 100 links and one of them is linking to you is not so good, but if it's having 1 link linking to you thats really good)
    - the relevance of the page and link text(it better to be from the same domain). if you have a site about singing rabbits and the backlinks are coming from pages about red leprechauns than is not so good.
  23. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by adiian
    None of the backlinks is bad. You're site will not be penalized because bad sites are linking to you. However not all the backlinks are good. Here are the 3 things that matters for backinks:
    - Page Rank - higher the better
    - the number of outgoing links on that page (if one page has 100 links and one of them is linking to you is not so good, but if it's having 1 link linking to you thats really good)
    - the relevance of the page and link text(it better to be from the same domain). if you have a site about singing rabbits and the backlinks are coming from pages about red leprechauns than is not so good.
    This is a bit to simplisitic. Links transfer two things trust and relevance. A non relevant link in someway becomes relevant by the fact it links to you. The transfer of trust though appears to have little to do with relevance. Thus a link from a non relivent highly trusted site transfers trust to your site. The increase in trust rank that is gained can greatly influence your SERPs. Even links from low trusted non relevant sites can help via relevant anchor text. Thus a link from an irrelevant site with relivent anchor texts is more helpful than the same link using something like 'click here'.

To improve your SERPs you need to increase your sites trust overall and relevance to your targetted key words. Relivent links do both. Non releivent links do not help your keyword themed releivance.

The point being. LINKS FROM HIGHLY TRUSTED AUTHORITY SITES ARE WORTH GOLD wether relivant or not. If they are relivent all the better.

The problem of this understanding about 'worthless' links IMO has come about because of the large amounts of near worthless links that come from peoples link pages/forums sigs etc. Thse links have little value even if relivent thus irrelevant ones have less then little value. ie near worthless.

Thus as above posters pointed out. Do not chase low value irrelivent links as the return on investment is very low. BUT DO CHASE LINKS FROM HIGHLY TRUSTED AUTHORITY SITES even if they are not directly relivent to your theme. ie non relivence is a discounting factor not the only factor to consider...
  25. End game expert

Originally Posted by chris p
    Would love to hear some good advice.

Focus on your site content first,filled your site with lots of quality content, read them and convince yourself those are useful to your visitors.

Then after you made more than 10 pages or more (20 or more is highly recommended), start doing some marketing for yourself, so that when there are site reviewers they can be impressed of your site content and link to your site. Check your site navigation make sure it is friendly and easy to find your content.

There is no point starting a link campaign for a site with no substantial, unique or quality content. You will be getting no approved links.
  27. No Profile Picture

Well, if you are concerned to make backlinks. Please make sure that they are of good quality. You could judge its quality by looking into following points:
    # Link from relevant thematic site.
    # PR of the site.
    # Link from a page not more than 30 outbound links.
    # Link should be from high Authority site.
    # Link should not be from link farm/directory
    # Do not make numerous links at one go, where as slowly and stedily increse your links.

Do not worry about inbound links as Search Engines do not penalize even if you have out done it.

Hope this helps
  29. No Profile Picture
    Roa
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nancy Kneoteric
    # Link from a page not more than 30 outbound links.
    Can anyone else verify this? We're talking about it on this thread a bit, but this one has a few more people on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: