1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Anchor Text Observation

I have a side project site that is a new domain, as I was getting things ready I put robots.txt on the site and disallowed all. I built a few external links, a couple with the same anchor text.

I googled the site and noticed the standard "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt" notification but also noticed the title was exactly the same as the anchor text I had used on the external sites.

I just found this interesting that Google, not being able to read my site looked at external anchor text to give the page a title. That anchor text variation isn't used on the site anywhere.

Am I right with this observation or could it be something else?
  3. Contributing User

Disallowing in robots.txt means that Googlebot won't send its spider through your site, that doesn't mean to say that Google won't look into the link profile of the website. Google will/should find your links naturally via crawling the web even if you have disallowed your site in robots.txt. The spider will just stop crawling when it hits that link.

Interesting about the Title however, that Google has decided to return what it thinks is the most appropriate title for your site based on the anchor text of your links. As we all know, anchor text is much much less of a ranking factor these days, but this clearly shows that there is still purpose to anchor text. Nice find bud!
  5. Contributing User

I've had Google change titles on me before but that was on sites it could crawl.
  7. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think it's been like that for a while now. Google would use all available external info if they cannot access the site (Unless they CAN access it and find NOINDEX robots meta tag in which case they won't show that page in search results at all)

Their official guidelines state that pretty clearly:

While Google won't crawl or index the content blocked by robots.txt, we might still find and index a disallowed URL from other places on the web. As a result, the URL address and, potentially, other publicly available information such as anchor text in links to the site can still appear in Google search results.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  9. Contributing User

I knew they looked at other links but, missed the anchor text part. That's cool! Thanks.