Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    2

    Is AMP a ranking factor?


    Is Google's Amp a ranking factor?

    Also If I have a responsive website that loads fast on mobile is there any need to implement AMP?

    Thanks
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    366
    AMP is not a ranking factor. Your responsive site is not impacted by this issue.

    AMP is in its web infancy and is competing with Facebook's version of fast loading pages and other fast loading systems.

    At present, there are so few AMP pages published on the web that it is questionable that it will ever evolve to become a wide-spread and reliable ranking factor.

    AMP could well go the way of Adobe's defunct Flash publishing system or G's Wave program.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic : wrong
  4. #3
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,159
    Rep Power
    4636
    Google never, ever lies, right? Mueller said:
    "So if you use AMP as a way of making your site, which which you can, that they're a bunch of sites out there that are using AMP kind of as a JavaScript framework for making sites, which is perfectly fine and then if it's a canonical URL for search, if it's the one that we actually index, then yes we will use that when determining the quality of the site when looking at things overall."
    So is Google lying or are you wrong?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,010
    Rep Power
    2239
    Hi John

    Your statement...
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    At present, there are so few AMP pages published on the web that it is questionable that it will ever evolve to become a wide-spread and reliable ranking factor.
    I disagree with the "so few amp pages" in existence. I personally think AMP is here to stay. Then there is the fact that almost 4 million amp pages are created weekly.

    As far as AMP itself being a ranking factor, I tend to agree with you. But, yep here comes the but... whether you use AMP or RWD, any page that is mobile user friendly gets a boost, be it AMP or RWD. In the case of AMP pages, because the content is so stripped down, Google says it uses the desktop index to index AMP pages. I suppose the desktop page has more informative content for Google to properly place the AMP page in the index.

    I will say, AMP pages are not for every website, AMP is for some, but RWD is probably best for the majority of sites. Not all sites are like Facebook or Pinterest or the New York Times.

    From Search Engine Watch >>>> https://searchenginewatch.com/2016/1...d-infographic/


    Then there is this ....


    Just one more thing to add.... The New York Times, 50% of its's articles are in AMP format.
    The New York Times Participates in Google AMP Project | The New York Times Company
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,010
    Rep Power
    2239
    Originally Posted by PInder325
    Is Google's Amp a ranking factor?

    Also If I have a responsive website that loads fast on mobile is there any need to implement AMP?

    Thanks
    No PInde325 you really have no need to convert to AMP. Google has stated it prefers RWD over AMP. Don't get me wrong, AMP has its place. Probably not your site tho.

    With AMP you will maintain two sets of pages, one for desktop and one for mobile.

    Don't fix it if it is not broken ! Also if it is speed you need, then put your site on CloudFlare, so you get CDN delivery speeds.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees : Excellent answers
    • JohnAimit agrees : However, I don't know if this bit is justified, "put your site on CloudFlare".
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jul 31st, 2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    366
    KP: "So is Google lying or are you wrong? "

    KP,
    Neither. Could it be that you have misread the original post, my reply and/or your own reference?

    The poster asks, "Is AMP a ranking factor?" G's John Mueller and I are clearly both saying, NO.

    How on earth can you think we are disagreeing and one of us lying as a consequence?

    Your Ref.

    25 Jan 17: Google: AMP Not Ranking Factor But If AMP Page Is Canonical, It Will Be Used For Site Quality

    If you missed the article headline, perhaps you also missed the first two sentences...

    "John Mueller addressed two different questions around AMP in the past 24 hours or so. The first, he said AMP is not a ranking factor. Google said this before, many times, but again, he said it on Twitter saying, if you do or don't have AMP, it doesn't improve your rankings just because it is AMP..."

    How about Mueller's Tweet:

    "AMP isn't a ranking factor; if you decide to disable it, make sure to redirect appropriately."

    I don't know how you missed so many confirmations that AMP is NOT a ranking factor in such a short article but at least it give us a good example of how easily people can become confused in interpreting articles about G's ranking factors.

    It seems you may have misunderstood what Mueller was talking about in a situation where G. is being "told" to use AMP formatted pages instead of HTML desktop/mobile files in its index. That does not mean AMP pages are a ranking factor.

    I hope this helps clarify things for you.

    PS. Folk may also want to take note of Mueller's warning in the video to be careful about how HTML pages are converted into AMP pages. I'd be more concerned about losing algo important ranking signals in a page conversion than any small load speed boost.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 1st, 2017 at 03:49 AM.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote KnowOneSpecial: "I disagree with the "so few amp pages" in existence. I personally think AMP is here to stay. Then there is the fact that almost 4 million amp pages are created weekly."

    Hi KnowOneSpecial,
    We are only swapping opinions here...

    My source of AMP page numbers is:

    Ampproject.org

    Some time in Mar 2017 its Home page was amended to include the statement:

    "More than 1.5B AMP pages have been published to date".

    Google claims to have indexed 130 trillion pages. (How Search Works)

    I use these numbers to calculate that AMP pages may currently constitute around 0.001% of all web pages.

    If the Ampproject number is accurate and your 4 mill pages per week stay constant, neither of us will live long enough to see them reach even a 5% share of all web pages point. If AMP is to succeed its usage will need to explode way beyond the 4 mill per week mark. I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm just suggesting that current publication rates are too insignificant to give us any useful guide.

    My reading is that G is primarily pushing AMP at news sites to counter Facebook's grab of news articles and the online ad market that comes with it.

    It seems there are still many communications and usage limitations with AMP pages. I expect there will be many folk working hard to develop better solutions.

    For folk wanting some basic info on AMP, this may be useful:

    Aug 2016: 7 Things You Need To Know About Google AMP

    "The main drawback to AMP is understanding the limits of the framework. One of the reasons AMP is so fast is because it restricts how you can code your pages in significant ways..."

    "You canít implement forms unless you use iframes, and even then, they must be below the fold. Even something as simple as site navigation can be complicated to create due to the limitations of the platform."

    "Itís kind of like going back to the early days of HTML websites. It may not allow your specific branded site design to translate perfectly into an AMP page, or give you all the functionality youíre used to having on the full version of your site."

    "7. Is AMP really the future of the mobile web?

    This is always a difficult question to answer, AMPís future is still uncertain as with any emerging technology."

    Just my opinion but I'm in this article writer's camp with the uncertain future of AMP.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 1st, 2017 at 03:25 AM.
  14. #8
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,159
    Rep Power
    4636
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    KP: "So is Google lying or are you wrong? "

    KP,
    Neither. Could it be that you have misread the original post, my reply and/or your own reference?

    The poster asks, "Is AMP a ranking factor?" G's John Mueller and I are clearly both saying, NO.

    How on earth can you think we are disagreeing and one of us lying as a consequence?

    Your Ref.

    25 Jan 17: Google: AMP Not Ranking Factor But If AMP Page Is Canonical, It Will Be Used For Site Quality

    If you missed the article headline, perhaps you also missed the first two sentences...

    "John Mueller addressed two different questions around AMP in the past 24 hours or so. The first, he said AMP is not a ranking factor. Google said this before, many times, but again, he said it on Twitter saying, if you do or don't have AMP, it doesn't improve your rankings just because it is AMP..."

    How about Mueller's Tweet:

    "AMP isn't a ranking factor; if you decide to disable it, make sure to redirect appropriately."

    I don't know how you missed so many confirmations in such a short article that AMP is NOT an algo ranking factor but at least it give us a good example of how easily people can become confused in interpreting articles about G's ranking factors.

    It seems you may have misunderstood what Mueller was talking about in a situation where G. is being "told" to use AMP formatted pages instead of HTML desktop/mobile files in its index. That does not mean AMP pages are a ranking factor.

    I hope this helps clarify things for you.

    PS. Folk may also want to take note of Mueller's warning in the video to be careful about how HTML pages are converted into AMP pages. I'd be more concerned about losing algo important ranking signals in a page conversion than any small load speed boost.
    What part of
    "If the AMP version is the one that we actually index, then yes we will use that when determining the quality of the site when looking at things overall."
    Don't you understand?

    Comments on this post

    • JohnAimit : IMHO, you are not making any sense now. Should we all publish in .txt file format just to improve load speed?
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
  16. #9
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,159
    Rep Power
    4636
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    So is Google lying or are you wrong?
    Good Lord, if wrong were an Olympic event you'd win more gold medals than Michael Phelps... smh
    Why do you continually believe what Google tells you when they contradict themselves so often? You choose which contradiction to go with then preach it like Moses returning from Mt Sinai. You use none of your own testing to back your facts, you only regurgitate what Google or MOZ told you. That's not SEO dude.

    Well, maybe it is on a tiny island with no competition.

    Comments on this post

    • JohnAimit : The A.A. Milne troll spruiks its nonsense.
    • JohnEvans agrees : You must test thing to back your points, 100% agree!
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 1st, 2017 at 05:48 AM.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    I am a massive believer that AMP is becoming more and more of a ranking factor!! Google have released a beta version of the new webmaster tools and there is now a section just for AMP so there is obviously a reason why Google is pushing AMP and introducing this new feature? User-experience and website loading time as we know is a ranking factor and AMP contributes to this so you can not say it does not improve your rankings (more so mobile).

    Look at Google news for example I seen a website which was not a massive news source ranking higher than Yahoo ect for the fact that they have AMP pages and were thus better for a user, there is now a snippet next to your website in the mobile search that your pages are supporting AMP.

    All the facts are there to suggest that without a doubt AMP will influence your rankings on Mobile.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by JohnEvans; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 07:00 AM.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    It's not Google's job to tell you how to get to page one otherwise there would be no competition in SEO and EVERYONE would do it, they are never going to tell you if it is a ranking factor or not it's all about trying things out and working out for yourself if it works or not. If i see someone from Google say this is not a ranking factor when I believe it is or have seen evidence otherwise I will simply test it for myself and work out an answer for myself.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    I thoroughly believe that AMP is a ranking factor there are signs and suggestions which are there... I'm not sure if you have seen the beta webmaster tools but they have made a whole new section just for AMP, this shows it's importance itself and they are obviously pushing this for a reason? I have also seen in the Google news where a less authoritative news website has outranked companies like Yahoo due to the fact they had AMP pages at the time and they didn't so Google is favoring a website loading time which all goes round in a circle really as user-experience and loading times are both ranking factors which AMP improves so I am not sure how you can say it is not a ranking factor at all.

    Even the search results on Mobile now the AMP snippet which is another indication to me that it has importance epically for the mobile algorithm.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees : Great Points!!
    • JohnAimit : G is running scared of losing mobile ad revenue. IMHO, AMP is too new to be the definitive solutions.
    Last edited by JohnEvans; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 06:51 AM.
  24. #13
  25. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,159
    Rep Power
    4636
    JohnAimit disagrees : The A.A. Milne troll spruiks its nonsense.
    lol are you drunk? Be honest
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 1st, 2017 at 07:57 AM.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    366
    So now you descend down to claiming I'm drunk! What an impoverished debating position you've found yourself in.

    How about you use knowledge and logic to justify your posts?

    It's all very easy!

    Just give us some logic and knowledge to prove me wrong!

    Please answer my question about when G lied but did not correct a misstatement.

    You never have and I doubt you can! You've not been able to do so in many, many posts.

    It seems this is all just another load of rubbish from my A. A. Milne troll.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic : You can't see the forest for the trees, sad
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 1st, 2017 at 08:34 AM.
  28. #15
  29. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,159
    Rep Power
    4636
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Please answer my question about when G lied but did not correct a misstatement.
    ok one more try, do your best to follow along, I'll try and keep it simple and monosyllabic. If you still don't get it after this, I give up:
    Mueller said: AMP is not a ranking factor.
    And he said: If the AMP version is the one that we actually index, then yes we will use that when determining the quality of the site when looking at things overall

    How are you not following that?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Is CTR a ranking factor?
    By Julian_SEO in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: Jul 20th, 2017, 06:17 AM
  2. Is SSL certificate a ranking factor?
    By otuk in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jul 29th, 2015, 12:04 AM
  3. Yahoo and msn ranking factor
    By tiwarimsmedia in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
  4. What is the ranking factor in Y
    By wd21 in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
  5. Ranking Factor Weights
    By CollegeGuy in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo