Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Quote KnowOneSpecial: "I disagree with the "so few amp pages" in existence. I personally think AMP is here to stay. Then there is the fact that almost 4 million amp pages are created weekly."

Hi KnowOneSpecial,
    We are only swapping opinions here...
    No it is not my opinion on the numbers, I was quoting from one of the inner linked articles. So in an effort to back up my statement, which I can see would / could be taken as opinion...I offer this...

AMP -- Accelerated Mobile Pages -- rolling out to 1 billion more people in Asia

Which contaings
    Originally Posted by SearchEngineLand
    Google’s Besbris said that there are now 1.7 billion AMP pages, with 35 million new pages being added per week. There are also now 860,000 domains using AMP around the world.

According to Google research, 70 percent of conventional mobile pages take seven to 10 seconds for visual page content to load. By comparison, AMP pages load in less than one second, on average.

Google has said AMP is not a ranking factor, however, page speed is. Besbris has said in the past that AMP pages don’t receive a ranking boost. However, when there are two identical pages, one AMP and one conventional mobile page, Google serves the AMP page.
    I don't know how you read this but I understand it clearly.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    • JohnAimit agrees : I think we both agree that it is early days for AMP. G is deperate but it has already failed with many initiatives. Where has "author" tags gone for a quality measure?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

AMP - ACCELERATED Mobile Pages.

Is speed (page load time) a ranking factor for Mobile? Yes

Does that mean Accelerated Mobile Pages are a ranking factor? OBVIOUSLY

That being said, AMP is not for everyone's website. That's why you see AMP primarily being used on blogs and online publications. The simplicity of AMP works well with articles, especially when you're battling for rankings in the "news pack" daily. However, that simplicity leaves very little wiggle room for customization if you're a marketer.

That's why RWD is often better, and KnowOneSpecial offered some nice alternatives to boost speed.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    • JohnAimit : If load speed becomes a ranking factor that is not specific to AMP pages. See reply below.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think we need to unravel this conversation with a visit to...

Google's: The fundamentals of Search

"Organizing information by indexing"

"...When we index a web page, we add it to the entries for all of the words it contains" (the word hit lists)

If you make your site in AMP pages, these will be used in G's index. They will be the page data source from which G will create its index of word hit lists and to which PageRank passes.

"Here are some of the ways Google uses Search algorithms to return useful information from the web"

Ranking useful pages

This section describes where the ranking algorithm comes into play.

"These algorithms analyze hundreds of different factors to try to surface the best information the web can offer..."

G's John Mueller is saying that there is no special ranking factor that is specific to AMP pages and used to boost them in the search results.

AMP pages may be used as an alternative to mobile pages. At present mobile search only imparts a very small and fixed ranking boost to any recognised mobile formatted web pages. AMP is only one of these mobile formats to which the same ranking factors may apply.

The G. future is a new mobile index instead of the current desktop index. Page load speed may becomes a more specific positive ranking factor when this long awaited index is launched...

Mar 2017: Google Mobile First Index: Page Speed Included as a Ranking Factor
    Jennifer Slegg

"During yesterday’s Mobile First session at SMX, Gary Illyes from Google discussed page speed and how it would be incorporated into mobile first. Google has now said that they will be including mobile page speed in the upcoming mobile first indexing change, the first announcement that it would be a factor."

IMHO, whatever the G future brings, it will still need to base its SERP rankings on the individual words used in the search query and how they are used on individual web pages and on those that link to them.

What may well become an SEO problem is how the AMP stripped down version of web pages may also strip out many important search ranking signals used in G's algo.

We will always need to be very careful about any SEO discussions of "quality" as a ranking signal. "Quality" is not a measurable and simply defined performance metric.

IMHO, any G algo ranking signal that does not contribute to its understanding of the individual words used in a search query will always be of secondary importance.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 05:38 AM.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

G's John Mueller is saying that there is no special ranking factor that is specific to AMP pages and used to boost them in the search results.
    Mueller said: If the AMP version is the one that we actually index, then yes we will use that when determining the quality of the site when looking at things overall"

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit : Seems I can't improve your reading comprehension. Just don't claim this as a G. lie.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
  9. Digital Marketing

IMHO, any G algo ranking signal that does not contribute to its understanding of the individual words used in a search query will always be of secondary importance.
    This quote perfectly represents how you really don't understand today's SEO. Google's algorithm today is much more focused on topics than keywords. Please learn about personalized search, AI, Know Simple, schema markup, and you will start to understand SEO basics. It's not about putting keywords on a page any longer.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seems like an SEO swing and miss approach to me. A combination of:

• Things that G does not use,
    • Things you can't know,
    • Things you don't understand,
    • Things you have just discovered,
    • Things that are not part of G's algo.

Funny thing is all my old clients' sites still pull in 80%+ from generic search. Even non-mobile sites still rank top of mobile searches.

Mind you, for 20+ years they have been based on targeting information topic searches. Have you only just found this SEO element?

Wonder what the sites are doing wrong in your perception of this "new" SEO world?

Nothing new here that I see. All we have is my A.A.Milne troll trying desperately to prove me wrong about something, anything...

IMHO, This thread has become repetitive with nothing of relevance being added.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : Do you even read what you type?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
  13. Digital Marketing

Funny thing is all my old clients' sites still pull in 80%+ from generic search. Even non-mobile sites still rank top of mobile searches.
    Yes, I am quite sure you were quite unchallenged given your unbelievably tiny demo.
  15. Digital Marketing

IMHO, This thread has become repetitive with nothing of relevance being added.
    Agreed, thread closed

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: