Thread: Advice Needed

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Advice Needed

Hi,

I have a site that gets around 20,000-30,000 hits a day and has the ".net" extension on the domain. I recently purchased at an auction the ".com" extension for my sites domain name.

I'm wondering what the best way to handle having both is. My first inclination is just to put the site up under both using the same content/look. So as far as the users are concerned they'd probably never notice the difference if they went to the ".net" or ".com" version.

I'm wondering though if the various search engines out there would care if I did it this way?

Alternativley I could just forward any requests from the .com to the equivelent .net page for the site.

So what do you think is the best way to handle having both the .net and .com extensions?
  3. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by ratemyeverythin
    I'm wondering what the best way to handle having both is. My first inclination is just to put the site up under both using the same content/look. So as far as the users are concerned they'd probably never notice the difference if they went to the ".net" or ".com" version.

I'm wondering though if the various search engines out there would care if I did it this way?
    Don't do it, you'll loose because of duplicate content. Do not cut the branch you sit on.

Originally Posted by ratemyeverythin
    Alternativley I could just forward any requests from the .com to the equivelent .net page for the site.
    Add a 301 redirect from the .com to the actual site ( the .net ). That's the best way to handle things IMHO. Don't risk that nice amount of traffic ;).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know :-)
  7. Contributing User

Don't mess with the big dog (Google) when it comes to duplicate content...just had a client come to me with over 500 pages of duplicated content and he couldn't figure out why he recently dropped in PR and wasn't having his pages indexed...silly rabbit