1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

ADVICE: Creating multiple sites with some pages redirecting to a main website.

I have a main company website. I am thinking of creating other websites with their own domain and with separate hosting accounts where the first few pages on the Nav Bar are unique but the 'Services' and 'Contact Us' page redirect to the main site.
    My question is - Is the redirect considered like duplicate content?
    I am doing it in WordPress so there is no special code on the page - just a link in the "Menu" settings.
    Does it matter if it is a separate hosted domain or can I make it a 'subdomain' from the main site (save a few hosting dollars)?
    If there is a problem with this technique can you recommend how to make multiple sites for my business?
    Thanks
    Gary
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why not to create wordpress dot com blog ? Do not duplicate any content. Duplicate = SPAM! SPAM = going down in google rankings ;)
    Last edited by Andrius; Feb 3rd, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

It's not really duplicating - it's a redirect to another page on a different site. I am asking if this is duplicating content.
    Are you suggesting a blog on the same site or a different site?
  7. No Profile Picture

Duplication is defined as same content on multiple urls. if different urls having same content then it is duplication. Redirects you can use as a tool to for duplication. Redirects mostly in practice are two:

302 (temporary redirect)
    301(permanent redirect)

If you use 301 redirect which is search engine and human friendly then the issue of duplication will be resolved permanently. 301 redirect tells user and search engine that the data of this page is moved to a news location and for future use that new page for indexing.

301 redirect is a temporary redirects and it tell user and search engine to use new page just for the time unlless the old has not been published.
  9. No Profile Picture

I understand what you are saying even though I will have to investigate a bit how to make a 301 redirect in WordPress.
    I thought I would give an example of what I had in mind to see if this is the same thing as you are suggesting. The first site is the main site. The second site is a link on the first site - together with many others - but you can see that they all have different home pages and a couple others and then they redirect to the main site for the last few pages on the nav bar. Are these 301 redirects? Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!
    Last edited by dzine; Feb 10th, 2013 at 04:04 AM. Reason: snip
  11. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by pompadissa
    I understand what you are saying even though I will have to investigate a bit how to make a 301 redirect in WordPress.
    I thought I would give an example of what I had in mind to see if this is the same thing as you are suggesting. The first site is the main site. The second site is a link on the first site - together with many others - but you can see that they all have different home pages and a couple others and then they redirect to the main site for the last few pages on the nav bar. Are these 301 redirects? Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!
    If you want to post examples, please UNCHECK the box [ ] Automatically parse links in text.
    New members cannot post links -- if they do, then the forum software won't publish the message. Thank you

P.S.: Site Reviews are only meant for people with more than 30 posts under their belt.
    Last edited by dzine; Feb 10th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Understanding a 301 redirect