Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Adobe buys Macromedia

I didn't know where to put this thread so please feel free to move it.

I think this is a good move for Adobe.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9076-1575118,00.html
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by toddieg
    I didn't know where to put this thread so please feel free to move it.

I think this is a good move for Adobe.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9076-1575118,00.html
    I think this is a bad move overall. No competition means adobe can put out crappy software, since they will have a monopoly.
  5. Unclassified
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by jrath1
    I think this is a bad move overall. No competition means adobe can put out crappy software, since they will have a monopoly.
    For what it's worth I personally think one thing Adobe cannot be accused of is producing crappy software so I don't see why they would choose to start doing so now.

Comments on this post

• gchaney agrees : And for the most part, free to use! Maybe some free versions of Macromedia products in the works?? Wouldn't that be sweet...ok I'll stop dreaming...lol
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Click4
    For what it's worth I personally think one thing Adobe cannot be accused of is producing crappy software so I don't see why they would choose to start doing so now.
    Because they won't have any competition. Which can mean a number of things. Prices can go up.
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Adobe cannot be accused of (...) producing crappy software
    Well - I DO believe they're moving downhill a bit. Have you tried opening a PDF file using Acrobat Reader lately? I was SOOO unhappy when I had to upgrade my 3.0 version when it couldn't read the latest PDFs anymore. It takes AGES. It's only a reader/viewer FCOL. Shouldn't take more than half a second on a 2.8Ghz computer

Flash is quite fast for what it does (although I'm often too impatient even for that) but I expect it to get about 15% cooler/better and 100% slower within 6 months. Bummer.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Wit
    Well - I DO believe they're moving downhill a bit. Have you tried opening a PDF file using Acrobat Reader lately? I was SOOO unhappy when I had to upgrade my 3.0 version when it couldn't read the latest PDFs anymore. It takes AGES. It's only a reader/viewer FCOL. Shouldn't take more than half a second on a 2.8Ghz computer

Flash is quite fast for what it does (although I'm often too impatient even for that) but I expect it to get about 15% cooler/better and 100% slower within 6 months. Bummer.
    Adobe Reader has gone downhill, i totally agree with you. Can that program get any more bloated?
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Thanks heavens for...

www.oldversion.com

...but alas, newer PDFs need newer versions of Acr. Reader.

Go for the oldest version that still works
  15. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Adobe is WAYYYY bloated. They've put entirely too much crap in a VIEWER 99% of which I never use. The only reason I use the damned thing is cuz I gotta view PDF ebooks somehow

G-Man
  17. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's a wonder to me that Adobe had the large market capitalization and was able to make this transaction. Remember that they once owned Freehand and most of Macromedia's initial workforce and let them go in a split...
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  19. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

In the old days I VERY much liked Adobe's resident PS fonts manager. tWas way back in the Win3.11 era, so I forgot the name. That was WAAAY cool though: use PS fonts on a MS Windows system as if they were TTFs. And of course Postscript still rocks (as long as it's compressed - heh).

Hope they keep the quality and regain the sleekness and speed of the old stuff
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I dont think adobe can put the price up any more. Adobe CS purchased outright is seriously expensive. I do expect them to take the macromedia route of activation and persistant customer bonus (if you upgrade every time a new release comes out you get the upgrade price. Skip a version and you have to pay 3/4 of the retail price )

Adobe needs flash and dreamweaver. Illustrator and photoshop are are already better than the competiton.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by inspireme
    I dont think adobe can put the price up any more. Adobe CS purchased outright is seriously expensive. I do expect them to take the macromedia route of activation and persistant customer bonus (if you upgrade every time a new release comes out you get the upgrade price. Skip a version and you have to pay 3/4 of the retail price )

Adobe needs flash and dreamweaver. Illustrator and photoshop are are already better than the competiton.
    A lot of people would argue freehand is better than illustrator. I use illustrator, but freehand did work better incorporated with flash.

We will see. I just hope adobe doesn't turn into microsoft.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hehe, i knew my illustrator comment would get a reaction. Obviously a personal view. I have never met anybody who likes them both ;)
  27. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I may be wrong

but I dont really mind companies getting larger. While I realize that prices often go up if one company has a complete monopoly etc think of the integration etc that Adobe will now be able to do. For years I have watched web designers jump back and forth between illustrator etc and dreamweaver and say "Man it would be cool if you could do this or that" well now you might be able to. I think a lot of times people's hatred of big business etc clouds their vision to the possible advantages. Just my two cents...
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Talking Good news

Actually, I like it.

I used Adobe live motion to build the flash files. But after the law suit between Adobe & Macromedia, the live motion pretty much dead.

Now it can rise again.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: