1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Additional Keyword Domains of any use?

Hi Everyone,

I have a website address that is a brand name and does not contain relevant keywords to my industry. I also have a number of domains that are keyword rich for my industry.

My understanding is that the additional domains are of little use in terms of driving traffic to my main website and a better focus is on page SEO and using keywords in the page titles of my main site.

With this in mind are there any benefits to owning the keyword rich domains other than keeping them out of the hands of competitors entering the market?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Millsy
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Millsyy2K,

My opinion is that it really depends on how much time/resources you have to put into multiple sites. I've seen others have successful "micro-sites" that drive small, but steady amounts of traffic to their main sites. If you have extra time, you could use the keyword rich domains for a micro-site strategy.

If time and resources are more limited, I'd recommend investing the most of it in your main site. Not having a keyword in your domain name isn't a barrier to ranking well, provided the meta tags, markup, content onsite are optimized properly. And Google more and more is loving big brands, so having a "branded" site isn't that bad of a thing either.

At the very least, yes, holding onto the keyword rich domains keeps them out of a competitors' hands. Perhaps you could sell them if the price were right too.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture

EMDs were great for ranking micro-niche sites fast last year. But after one of the Google updates EMDs were hit and don't have a lot value now. You should better focus on developing your main site and your brand instead of spending time on these keyword domains.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys I appreciate your help,

It's pretty much as I thought so I'll start reading up about On Page SEO and get some keyword rich blog posts up on the site.
  9. No Profile Picture

You can keep the names just in case anyone ever types those in or you could build mini site landing pages and use the url's to draw traffic into your main site. Otherwise you are just paying for nothing. I would say use them