1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Adding to existing URL structure or separate folder. 2 options!

Long time lurker, first time poster

Quick question if you experts don't mind.

I have an existing review site, lets say it reviews TVs. While the site is dynamic, it's url structure is made to look static.

At the moment the URL structure follows a simple pattern, depending on brand and model:

domain.com/TV/Samsung/UE4200.htm

It's quite an old site, gets good traffic and google likes it.

I'm in the process of adding price comparison, and there's two ways of doing it. I'm not sure what is best as both have their merits, and technically, either is possible, I just need to commit to one!

Each TV will have a screen size as a variable before we can show prices, so the 2 options for URL structures will look something like this:

1) domain.com/TV/Samsung/UE4200.htm/prices/42-Inch

(Perhaps we a rel canonical pointing back to domain.com/TV/Samsung/UE4200.htm)

or

2) domain.com/TV-Prices/Samsung/UE4200/42-Inch.htm

I'm thinking more option 1, as the price comparison section will just be an extension of the information we're providing about the TV, but I'm not sure if a different section for pricing might give me more room to grow in the future.

Thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

1200 views and not a single reply. I think that must be some sort of foreveralone record ;(
  5. Editor-in-Chief
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hey Jon,

Sorry for the lack of response so far - I'll post this up on Twitter and Facebook and see if we can get you some traction.

Comments on this post

• mrjithinc agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Firstly, try to understand why URL structure is so important for SEO
    Having a keyword-rich domain name and creating a sound information architecture followed by proper page naming conventions can put you on the fast track for SEO success.

The Domain

This is your address on the web. To search engines it is much like real estate: location, location, location.
    Residing at a keyword-rich domain will give you instant authority out of the gate. This authority has decreased over time, but it still doesn't hurt you.
    Ideally, we all wish we had a domain name consisting of our most important keyword. For most of us bound by time and money or organizational red tape, we have to work with what we have.
    Information Architecture/Folder Structure

This is where search engines have been paying more attention in the last year. As discussed in "What Google Thinks of Your Site," since early 2010 Google often displays URLs with links to site categories in the listing's URL line.

Google does things for a reason. Everything they do is an indication of something you should be doing. Here, Google is announcing that they prefer a sound information architecture.
    For instance, if I handed you a proverbial bucket of URLs and said go to my page selling red bicycles, which of these three URL structures would likely be of greater assistance:

www.example.com/58739.php
    www.example.com/products/bike-14.html
    www.example.com/bikes/red-bicycles
    The best way to develop a sound information architecture is through laying out all of the categories of your site along side your keyword research.

Pretend you're showing a search engine (or a slow, dim-witted friend) how to drill down through the site. In showing the hierarchical flow of the site, you want to record the tiers of the site, but you don't want to make it too difficult to follow.

For this, ensure that you stay within three folders of the main site root. Developing a proper information architecture shows search engines what you consider the most important categories on your site as well as the association of these category's pages with their parent category theme. If you do it correctly, it also adds keywords to the top-level folders on your site.

Page Naming

People so often get it wrong -- pages named after product numbers, dynamically generated, no hyphenation between words, and the list goes on. It seems many are so concerned with on-page SEO they forget the foundation of the page.
    When building a great page name, consider your keyword research or the top keyword for the page. Or, if it's a product, consider a targeted term plus the product name or ID if it's a popular identification number.
    This shouldn't be difficult. Most of your attempts at successfully naming a page will at least be better than a dynamically generated version or letting IT make the decision.
    If you're rewriting your URLs, it may be worth rewriting them to remove the script extension in case you move to a different programming platform down the road. This will help alleviate any future headaches.