1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Redirects on Large Real Estate Site

Hi guys,

We are about to move over to a new website and need advice on handling the 301 redirects.

We have a large real estate website with around 12,000 pages, a lot of these are properties (about 10,000)

On our old website, the url structure for each property is as follows -

domainname.com/property/view?property=14863

on our new site, the url structure is

domainname.com/properties/view/6137

The property ID number is always different from old site to new. The way we see it, we have two options.

a.) a manual redirect of each and every property url. A very very long job

b.) a folder level redirect, so redirect the 'property' folder on the old site into the 'properties' folder on new. The con with this one is we are not sure if this is the best route to take, if it is how we would go about it?

Some advice would be really appriciated guys. I know there are somne hyper intellient SEO's in here.

Many thanks,

Mark
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

I'd redirect down to the properties...not the properties them selves, once the property is some it's no longer an issue,
    redirect the domainname.com/property to domainname.com/properties.
    why didn't you make the new category property rather than properties, then you would have had to do anything. That was a silly mistake.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I'd redirect down to the properties...not the properties them selves, once the property is some it's no longer an issue,
    redirect the domainname.com/property to domainname.com/properties.
    why didn't you make the new category property rather than properties, then you would have had to do anything. That was a silly mistake.
    Hey, thanks loads for the quick reply. We can still change this as the site has not gone live.

So if, we alter as follows, no redirects will be needed? As the urls as still different, mainly as all the properties have a different ID number

OLD - domainname.com/property/view?property=14863

NEW - domainname.com/PROPERTY/view/6137
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

If the hierarchy doesn't change and only the property ID link, you have 2 options.
    1. redirect the individual propertied to the new url
    2. Let google spider the new ID

#1 would be a crap load of work and as said above once the property is sold or gone it would be short lived anyway.
    #2 will take some time for google to spider, but I think would be the easiest.

The question I'd ask myself is...are the old property listings ranking for the search quarries? or is the domainname.com/property/ page ranking?

Without looking at the whole picture I think #2 would be the best option providing your not changing you top end/structure.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    If the hierarchy doesn't change and only the property ID link, you have 2 options.
    1. redirect the individual propertied to the new url
    2. Let google spider the new ID

#1 would be a crap load of work and as said above once the property is sold or gone it would be short lived anyway.
    #2 will take some time for google to spider, but I think would be the easiest.

The question I'd ask myself is...are the old property listings ranking for the search quarries? or is the domainname.com/property/ page ranking?

Without looking at the whole picture I think #2 would be the best option providing your not changing you top end/structure.
    Hey, thanks loads for the advice on this one. Really appreciate it. I have been thinking about what to do for a few days now. We made a final change to the url structure before launch, so now we are running with this, as we think it will be better in the long run -

OLD - domainname.com/property/view?property=14863

NEW domainname.com/property/street-name/4286

I did decide to go down the route of redirects, but the problem I have is we do not have any control over the old website. I intened to crawl with screaming frog and match the old urls to new using page title.

Problem is I can only pull about 1,600 of 6000 property urls from the site. Even using moz crawler, neither seems to to be able to get a proper route around the site.

So baring in mind it is impossible to do the full lot of 301's now, I could really use some extra advice.

I am thinking -

a.) do as many 301's as a can and then let the rest 404, get spidered and hopefully sort themselves out.

b.) redirect the entire property/view/ category. I really think this may be a bad idea to be honest.

c.) is it possible for me to request a no index of category /property/view via webmaster? Do you think this is a good idea?

Any opinions would be really appreciated
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If its possible I would migrate your data again, this time make sure the ID's match old with new. Once that is done then it should be a easy job to 301 redirect each property from old to new, with the data not being matched your forced to write a lookup table to translate if you want to do a seamless migration.
    You dont say if you have any coders to hand to do this work but assuming you do I would have thought there must be some link between he 2 data sets even if its the images, if this is the case then you could query the data to do the matching for you.
    Without knowing more on the structure its a bit hard to say which is the best route but either getting a lookup table or re-importing the data I would say is the key here.
    Good SERPS is great, Traffic however is even better