1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Redirect to Home Page or Sub-Page?

Hi guys,

I hope I can get some opinions and thoughts on what I'm trying to do with my website.

I purchased new domain name 6 months ago, created a blog, added quality content and started acquiring backlinks.

The website starts ranking for many competitive keywords and its climbing day after day. Now I get around 17K page views a month.

Now, during this time I was always looking for an old domain with clean link profile to 301 redirect to my new domain, to boost my domain authority. Recently I found a great domain with great backlink profile, everything with this domain is just great, backlinks from many trusted sources, anchor text ratio is great, most backlinks are brand name anchor, I also installed google search console, there are no warnings or manual actions applied to the website. I bought this domain for $1500 directly from the owner.

My question is:

I have built many branded backlinks to my new domain, they cost me a fortune as I was only getting quality contextual backlinks from real websites. NO PBNs.

The old domain that I purchased is also branded and shows up in google when you type the brand name.

Now I want to keep using my own brand that I started with, so I'm worried if I do 301 redirect, my brand will eventually disappear as the old domain I'm redirecting has way more backlinks and authority.

So I was thinking instead of redirecting the old domain to the home page, why not redirect it to a sub page of my new website, and from there I can implement some internal linking to distribute the authority, and that way my brand doesn't get affected, and if there was anything wrong with the site, it will only hurt the sub-page not the whole website.

What do you think about the way I'm doing it?

Do you think its better to redirect the old domain directly to the home page?

How would you go around it? to keep my original brand name and get all the authority from the old expired domain.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you so much in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

actually, in this case I will suggest you do 301 for the domain but you have to be careful about quality, do quality work such that people are satisfied from your new domain like previous. then Google will be giving you 100% backlink of the previous domain. But you have to maintain the quality.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I like the strategy of setting up redirects from the old site to the new internal pages, but why would a temporary redirect be better than a permanent redirect?