Thread: 2018 seo

1. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Google is an advertising agency, nothing more. They make money when someone clicks the link in a paid placement. There is no question that Google is making it harder, even virtually impossible in many cases to rank organically on the first page. Even if you do get there in many cases you are the 40th or 50th link on the page. In the USA a good (not great) paid search guy can command a 6 figure salary. An SEO guy, not even close. They're a dime a dozen and struggling to somehow stay relevant. Because of this I would go with Professor Stan's advice and learn paid search.
    My logic:

There is still 10 organic results on each first page?

The 10 best results according to Google were placed on the first page in the year 2000, and it's the same in 2018. Although the rules of getting there is now different, longer, more competitive as the internet expands... ultimately - there's still only 10 results.

So, it shouldn't matter about the how the search engine has evolved, as every website lives by the same rules?

I know Adwords is expanding. But, even in 2010, any half competitive term would have been full of ads.

I'm not against paid search by the way; it's proven to be very profitable to me - I just don't understand the logic in regards to organic search.

What am I missing here?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by matt1966
    What am I missing here?
    Its not one thing or the other - its understanding that SEO is part of something larger - Online Marketing or even Marketing itself - and being aware of those options. Thats why people like Moz dropped SEO from their business name. Not because SEO is not important but it is too restrictive.

Consider this from my clients:

Client A: gets most of her traffic from Instagram
    Client B: gets most of her traffic from YouTube after making some top notch videos
    Client C: gets most of their traffic via PPC (especially Google and Bing shopping)
    Client D: does most of their business via ebay and Amazon (but still has a website)
    Client E: gets most of his traffic through organic search

Now if all you know is SEO and these five clients came to you, you would be wrong in 80% of cases. If you knew that you would turn away the first 4 clients but how could you know unless you had some experience in the other options?

You can get clues - try some searches and you will find 4 ads, then map results, then Google Shopping suggestions, then YouTube suggestions, etc. Organic results are so far down few people ever reach them. In other cases SEO is a completely valid solution.

I think this thread makes it sound like it is one thing or the other. Its not, its lots of things. Be very careful not to become the person who sees everything as a nail because all they have is a hammer.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    • KernelPanic agrees : Brilliant!
  5. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hi Tim
    I agree with you
    You can get clues - try some searches and you will find 4 ads, then map results, then Google Shopping suggestions, then YouTube suggestions, etc. Organic results are so far down few people ever reach them. In other cases SEO is a completely valid solution.
    This is exactly my point as I mentioned on 2018 seo
    I just Google "SEO Services" from Indian IP but on my laptop I find only two sites on my screen those are paid to listing you can also review this
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by matt1966
    My logic:

There is still 10 organic results on each first page?

What am I missing here?
    Excellent question! Do a search for Charlotte hotels and tell me how many hotels you see in the organic results. I see 2. Google has decided to not show B&M any longer over the aggregate sites like Tripadvisor and Kayak. I used to be number 1 and 2 for my city hotel. Now I am the first hotel being shown at #7.

Do a search for Houston Lawyers, how many lawyers in the organic results? 1? 2?

I saw this trend coming 5 years ago and switched the entire firm to a paid search focused operation. We make more money, clients are easier to get and boom, we're #1. Now that's not to say paid search is easier, it's not. It's why we make the big bucks. Supply and demand, there's way less of us. Capeesh?
  9. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks, Prof. Stan, Doodled and KP for your answers.

From your examples, I can see where you're all coming from. This is my weak spot, I only run two sites; these two sites search results aren't ridden with aggregate sites and I've had a lot of success ranking organically so far. Thanks for sharing your experiences, examples etc.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Well, the first mistake is to strictly follow information online. Not because the information is inaccurate, but because if one person can find the information, then so can 1 million others... and if other follow the same advice then everyone is on the same playing field and the effects diminish.

I would start with:

1) Creating good quality content. Add elements that Google likes, such as
    - Bullet lists
    - Table of content
    - HTML tables
    - Original images (add fig captions)
    - FAQ
    - Resources
    ... think like a mega guide is good, because people are more likely to link to them when you email them.
  13. Retired from SEO

Originally Posted by apmdesigns
    Well, the first mistake is to strictly follow information online. Not because the information is inaccurate, but because if one person can find the information, then so can 1 million others... and if other follow the same advice then everyone is on the same playing field and the effects diminish.

I would start with:

1) Creating good quality content. Add elements that Google likes, such as
    - Bullet lists
    - Table of content
    - HTML tables
    - Original images (add fig captions)
    - FAQ
    - Resources
    ... think like a mega guide is good because people are more likely to link to them when you email them.
    Do you think, these are not being followed by others ??
    Creating good content will be not enough you should write the best content that is the space where you can make a difference or lead in your niche.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 6th, 2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typo
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by apmdesigns
    Add elements that Google likes, such as ... HTML tables
    Eh? Where on earth did you learn that?

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  17. Retired from SEO

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Eh? Where on earth did you learn that?
    Mars planet
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. Responsive Website
    2. Image Optimization
    3. Genuine Content
    4. Internal Linking
    5. Website Loading Time
    6. Keywords...etc
  21. No Profile Picture

Hello Sahabaz,

Thanks for coming up with questions, which most intermediate SEO Pro's use to have.

Actually, these that you listed are old tactics. The in-trend technique used for Off-page link building is Content Marketing. That is; you create, post and share your page (let's say you create a video and add it in your blog post). Outreach to people, and ask them to make use to the video and ask them to link back (polietely ;)) 2 out of 10 people will try to either distribute your content or link back.

You can also use other content marketing weapons like Infographics, statistics, charts, etc to acquire more links.

Not only the off-page SEO has changed. The On-page content also has to be optimized to get a good position in Google's SERP.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Mar 29th, 2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Link dropping
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by martin smith
    1. Responsive Website
    2. Image Optimization
    3. Genuine Content
    4. Internal Linking
    5. Website Loading Time
    6. Keywords...etc
    That's it? Maybe if you live on a small island in the Pacific ocean and use Google as your Bible. Anywhere competitive, nope.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi,

As you can see many here has suggested you what’s doesn’t work now and what not to do. Well here specific answer to your query.

Since PR is dead, we can consider Moz DA, PA, Trust flow & citation flow before linking to any resource.
    So for example, you find any forum thread in your niche to comment

What you need to do is check its domain authority, page authority, trust flow & citation flow

All of these metrics are measured out 100. So, more the number of DA, PA, TF better is the source to be linked. Remember I purposely skipped citation flow.

Overall, no matter what activity you consider doing you should follow above metrics before putting your efforts in it.

Hope this helps
  27. No Profile Picture

You have to focus on these

Mobile First Indexing
    Voice Search optimization
    Semantic Search
    Knowledge Graph
    Content optimization
    Link building
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Doodled: "Its not one thing or the other - its understanding that SEO is part of something larger - Online Marketing or even Marketing itself - and being aware of those options."

Oh, so true, Brother Doodled. And then some...

The Internet continues to diversify into a wider range of communication channels.

It is hard to imagine an online marketing plan where multiple online channels are not needed as is the importance of its integration with offline communication channels and broad marketing objectives.

There will be huge differences between the optimal online comms channel mix based on:

• Targeting new vs. repeat customer comms.
    • Targeting end consumer vs. distribution channel influencers.
    • Type of product/service being marketed.
    • B2B vs B2C comms channels.
    • Male vs female comms channels.
    • Age of target audiences.
    • Location of target audiences.
    • And, much more...

Many suppliers of online services have self segmented themselves into, eg.

• Web design/development
    • PPC/ad marketing
    • SEO
    • Social media
    • Copywriting services
    • Content marketing
    • Etc.

As I see it, the challenge for the Internet services folk on SEO Chat will be to work out how they position their services and what sorts of client market segments they want to target to ensure they can survive for the next 5 years.

It's just an impression but the knowledge that seems to be in the shortest supply in online marketing services is a formal knowledge and experience in marketing. I've looked up the LinkedIn profiles of "scads" of suppliers of these Internet service categories over the years and it is rare to find marketing education or experience listed by them.

What the world ends up with is a wider range of services in which the inexperienced, incompetents and bushrangers can hide and from which they can ambush unsuspecting clients.

PS. To those who think PageRank is dead, Google has denied this. What are probably moribund are the SEO tools that report metrics like, "domain authority, page authority, trust flow & citation flow".
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 2nd, 2018 at 05:41 AM.