1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

2 Questions.. Anyone Help?

Hi,

I have been reading up on SEO for ages now but there are a couple of things that are still unclear. If anybody could help me on any of these questions I would be very, very grateful!

1. When I choose a keyphrase (such as "pet food uk"), does this keyword have to appear as a phrase in my body text to have effect. Could I have in the body: I sell pet food within the uk. Will this be ok?

2. I have read that when I link to my website I must contain my keywords within the link. Do I have to have my keyword within the link title or can I place the keywords within the link description?

Thanks in advance. I have read many articles but I can't find the answer to these 2 questions for love nor money!

Cheers,

Chris
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

1.) in my opinion if you use your keyword as a phrase you will gain position in SERPS under "pet food uk" (search for phrase) and under pet food uk....if you split your keyword and use it as "I sell pet food within the uk" this will not effect your SERPS position under "pet food uk" as the phrase is not found on your page.

I think that you should use both. As much as you can use the whole phrase and if you can't..use the keywords separately.

2.) you should place your keywords directly on your link - <a href="..." title="keywords">keywords</a>
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by wemustdesign
    Hi,

I have been reading up on SEO for ages now but there are a couple of things that are still unclear. If anybody could help me on any of these questions I would be very, very grateful!

1. When I choose a keyphrase (such as "pet food uk"), does this keyword have to appear as a phrase in my body text to have effect. Could I have in the body: I sell pet food within the uk. Will this be ok?

2. I have read that when I link to my website I must contain my keywords within the link. Do I have to have my keyword within the link title or can I place the keywords within the link description?

Thanks in advance. I have read many articles but I can't find the answer to these 2 questions for love nor money!

Cheers,

Chris
    Hello and welcome to the forums. First of all I don't suggest targetting just one keyword. Even targetting a very competitive keyword can bring lower conversions than many lwo competition keywords.
    Use different anchor text links. Such as "pet food uk", "pet food in the uk" etc.

If you are targetting "pet food uk" having this in the body of the page helps alot. You can rank well without it but it is harder. Search google for "miserable failure" and click i'm feeling luck. you will see what I mean. Cover all your bases.

Put your main targetted phrase in your title.
    i.e Pet Food in the UK - PetFoodUk.com
    The above title really isn't that great but was an example of how your keywords should appear.

The link anchor text is what matters. The surrounding text can improve the importance of that link such as a quality article on pet food in the uk next to or preferrably surrounding your link will help a great deal.

Having pages with quality content on each of your targetting keyphrases will also help alot. Resources that will be useful to your visitors on your topic will also help. If it is very useful to your visitors they will begin linking to your site all by their self. This is the best way to get links and is the fastest way to the top.

I think I answered your questions lol - If I missed something just scream at me.... on second thought just whisper it to me

Comments on this post

• raz agrees
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Optimising for the UK

Chris,

from experience of analysing actual traffic I'd suggest you forget about the UK suffix or prefix.

Its more important that you have a .co.uk domain and are hosted in UK.

Google.co.uk, msn.co.uk and uk.yahoo.com account for about 80% of their respective engines UK searches.

If you're really chasing petfood it'll be a tough one.