1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

1 Site - Two Servers???

I have a client who has finally agreed to let me do a new homepage for him. He runs a hotel and his site is www appesbach dot com. It is a hotel near Salzburg Austria. In preparing to do his site, I have a question and wish to know if my intent/approach is practical. When his current site was designed, PHP was used and the site is hosted on a server that will not support the language I program in, ASP. The client wishes to keep his site on the current server. So, I thought I could do the following. Keep only his current index/default page on that server, and register a new domain name, something like www salzburg-austria-hotel dot com. I would then design, program, and optimize, and host the "new" site on an ASP friendly server. This new "site" would then serve as the primary site to be submitted and indexed by search engines. As I understand it, using keywords in the url is a commonly used tactic, no? I would appreciate some feedback. THanks so much.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by thall89553
    something like www salzburg-austria-hotel dot com.
    This may be more SEO friendly but I believe that this loading of keywords in the url is a bad trend. I think it is spammy looking and difficult to expect people to type this in. It would be fine if it was "www austrian-hotels dot com" or something like that but the example you gave just doesn't seem to make sense. I just imagine someone calling and asking for the website and the owner saying:

Its salzberg dash austria dash hotel dot com

which people tend to get confused with too many dashes or underscores.

There was some similar ground covered here (just the domain name part):

http://forums.seochat.com/t11999/s.html

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The domain I gave would ONLY be for SEO. If someone needed the address of the hotel, they would be given www appesbach dot com. That address would have only ONE page whose links would all point to www salzburg austria hotel dot com. That keyword enriched domain name would NEVER be given out as the address of the hotel. Also, that domain name is just an idea, it is not written in stone. The main jist of what I am trying to do is let him keep that address of www appesbach dot com but to let me develop a new remodeled site using ASP which needs to be on an ASP friendly server. It sounds strange, but the hotel belongs to a chain of hotels whose server is a linux one and will not support ASP, which is all that I know. Essentially, I am just designing a new site which will be optimized for search engines. THe address could be www appesbach hotel dot com for that matter, no?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

great way to have your friends's domain banned or penalized by Google and other SEs.

Originally Posted by thall89553
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The domain I gave would ONLY be for SEO. If someone needed the address of the hotel, they would be given www appesbach dot com. That address would have only ONE page whose links would all point to www salzburg austria hotel dot com. That keyword enriched domain name would NEVER be given out as the address of the hotel. Also, that domain name is just an idea, it is not written in stone. The main jist of what I am trying to do is let him keep that address of www appesbach dot com but to let me develop a new remodeled site using ASP which needs to be on an ASP friendly server. It sounds strange, but the hotel belongs to a chain of hotels whose server is a linux one and will not support ASP, which is all that I know. Essentially, I am just designing a new site which will be optimized for search engines. THe address could be www appesbach hotel dot com for that matter, no?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What is a great way to have it banned, keywords in the url? Ok, let me ask this. Lets say I have a site, www.myhotelname.com and on that site (server), I have only one index/default page. ALL the links on that page point to a different url, say www.pickaname.com, will the site get indexed? For further clarification, lets say I have a link on the first that reads "accommodations" and it points to www.pickaname.com/accomodations.asp, will www.pickaname.com/accommodations.asp get indexed? I'm not trying to fool or decieve the search engines, I am only trying to get around an obstacle I am facing, that's all.