Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Utility Bot
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Google Panda Update Slams Content Farms

Whether you call it “Panda,” as Google prefers, or “Farmer,” as the media labeled it, one thing is certain: the search engine's latest update sent shock waves through the Internet. Many sites lost their positions in the SERPs, while others were apparently unaffected. How can you maintain or regain your standing?

Read the full article here: Google Panda Update Slams Content Farms

For more discussion go here: Blog Article Discussion

3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and I am looking for finding good information and opportunity to share my knowledge at the same time. In regard to your concern, there are many websites which have been slappe by Panda but there are also sites which maintained their posts in SERPs. One good way is to provide quality content to your readers and search engines. This change of algorithm is something that we should not freak out instead, it is something that we should follow if we want to stay. Quality content is king and way.. Hope this information helps
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I believe its simple, the rule is don't post or update duplicate contents to your website and you will be free from panda. To regain your stand after being hit, just start writing and updating original and quality contents to your site.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by autumnsmith
    Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and I am looking for finding good information and opportunity to share my knowledge at the same time. In regard to your concern, there are many websites which have been slappe by Panda but there are also sites which maintained their posts in SERPs. One good way is to provide quality content to your readers and search engines. This change of algorithm is something that we should not freak out instead, it is something that we should follow if we want to stay. Quality content is king and way.. Hope this information helps
    Unfortunately, this is totally not what happened with Panda. Many legitimate sites, including ours, were somehow lumped together with garbage article directories. In some instances we ended up being punished due to others stealing our content and putting it up on their sites. Was pretty sad to watch Google put their content up first and have ours sometimes not even appear as a "duplicate". This happened once with a site that even scraped our domain and logo! Content is only king so long as it isn't scraped and Google can recognize when it has been scraped.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

freeadvice...That is what Panda was about.
    Your problem is duplicate content, which panda addressed, now who knows who scraped who, or who copied who and who put what up when but your comment:
    Unfortunately, this is totally not what happened with Panda
    Is just totally wrong.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    freeadvice...That is what Panda was about.
    Your problem is duplicate content, which panda addressed, now who knows who scraped who, or who copied who and who put what up when but your comment:
    Is just totally wrong.
    About "totally wrong" -- Panda was not about duplicate content. It was about "thin" content which is something entirely different. In addition:

1 - Our good unique content, copied nowhere else, was hit badly. So duplicate content was not our problem.

2 - Our copied content was hit as well, which was actually a much, much smaller part of the site. Panda had such poor results that scrapers were getting better rankings than we were. I can tell you that we were not alone.

Your statement is about not knowing who copied who. An 8 year old could figure it out. First of all, if Google has a date search, it should know when an article was first posted. Second, if the articles ranking higher than mine had (1) my accreditation, and (2) my own links back to my site, then it's pretty obvious who is the originator and who was the ripper!

I can tell you from being at some very high level functions, many high quality sites of a similar type were affected. Google seemed to hit article sites very hard. They had to adjust Panda but it took a long time to fix what wasn't originally broken and those sites took major hits.
  13. Agency SEO

Isn't blaming Google for poor ranks sort of like blaming the teacher for poor grades?

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Sometimes they don't teach and sometimes students refuse to learn.
    • Test-ok agrees : Dome don't bother to show up and wonder why they get poor grades. :D
  15. No Profile Picture

I don't know if I am on the right thread.. am a newbie on SEO and wanting to know if there is any free software or site that can help me determine if the article is only scraped or spun.. or whatever.. means not unique content.. I bought an article at fiverr co'z his add is telling that he will provide me unique content for 5$.. I was wondering if the content I bought is really unique and has no duplicate... please help...
  17. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by krizia999
    I don't know if I am on the right thread.. am a newbie on SEO and wanting to know if there is any free software or site that can help me determine if the article is only scraped or spun.. or whatever.. means not unique content.. I bought an article at fiverr co'z his add is telling that he will provide me unique content for 5$.. I was wondering if the content I bought is really unique and has no duplicate... please help...
    No your not in the right thread...you should have started a new one...but that's ok.

Search chunks of the content with quotes around it for "exact match" to see if it's elsewhere.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    No your not in the right thread...you should have started a new one...but that's ok.

Search chunks of the content with quotes around it for "exact match" to see if it's elsewhere.
    Well thanks then... will get into it...

I am starting to want this place.. Information about SEOs are updated.. Thanks!!
  21. No Profile Picture

I also believe that quality content is the key to overcoming the Google Panda effect. If your content is unique and providing original information, the only thing you need to do is optimize its keywords. So if your content does not follow these few standards, trying to bring it up through the algorithm would mean that you have to first of all accomplish them.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by freeadvice
    Unfortunately, this is totally not what happened with Panda. Many legitimate sites, including ours, were somehow lumped together with garbage article directories. In some instances we ended up being punished due to others stealing our content and putting it up on their sites.
    How could you possibly know that?

The only reason another domain would be seen as the better authority for the content... is because Google trusts them more.

YOU GUESSED WRONG!

Was pretty sad to watch Google put their content up first and have ours sometimes not even appear as a "duplicate". This happened once with a site that even scraped our domain and logo! Content is only king so long as it isn't scraped and Google can recognize when it has been scraped.
    Just because you cannot fathom the cause (you can't imagine you did anything wrong) does not mean you are blameless.
  25. rod@missionop.com

About "totally wrong" -- Panda was not about duplicate content. It was about "thin" content which is something entirely different.
    Actually, PANDA handles 4 types of content:

1. Thin Content
    2. Copied Content (I would also call this copyright infringement as well as duplicated content)
    3. Auto-generated Content
    4. Spun Content

In addition:

1 - Our good unique content, copied nowhere else, was hit badly. So duplicate content was not our problem.
    You'd be surprised. Spun content can indeed be thought of as being "original"... ("I didn't copied off of anyone I wrote it uniquely") but if the information is superficial (e.g. not at all detailed or written with genuine authority) that would be precisely the definition of "SPUN".

EXAMPLE: Topic: "What is search engine optimization?"

I can sit here are write 500 words about that topic and never look at another reference and I guarantee it would be completely original (in my mind) but devalued by Google to rank for search engine optimization style terms... and why?

Because authority domains like: wikipedia.org, searchengineland.com, moz.com, youtube.com, support.google.com, and howto.gov (to name a few) have covered that topic in such a manner that my lame attempt to provide a cheap 500 word replacement for those domain ... you can't pull the wool over Google's eye's so easily.

2 - Our copied content was hit as well, which was actually a much, much smaller part of the site. Panda had such poor results that scrapers were getting better rankings than we were. I can tell you that we were not alone.
    I'm not sure why you thought having any copied content was valuable... that a solid reason to not trust your own original works.

Your statement is about not knowing who copied who. An 8 year old could figure it out. First of all, if Google has a date search, it should know when an article was first posted. Second, if the articles ranking higher than mine had (1) my accreditation, and (2) my own links back to my site, then it's pretty obvious who is the originator and who was the ripper!
    Candidly, I find that PANDA works with an accomplice named PENGUIN... if you have unnatural links to your domain that is a solid reason to not trust your material.

People will throw examples out that are completely immaterial to the issue. Google doesn't trust your domain that's the problem not the fact that scrapers have copied you ... Google doesn't trust them either but it trusts you less... you really need to answer "why it trusts you less?"

I can tell you from being at some very high level functions, many high quality sites of a similar type were affected. Google seemed to hit article sites very hard. They had to adjust Panda but it took a long time to fix what wasn't originally broken and those sites took major hits.
    I can tell you from reading Google`s double digit growth year over year that your very high level functions suggests the wine and dine routine did not have the desirable impact.

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Fathom... still kicking ***.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

yes absolutely correct, Google panda gives preference to the quality content writing with rich keywords rather then totally depend on off page( directory submission, social bookmarking, profile linking etc)
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by cavlin
    yes absolutely correct, Google panda gives preference to the quality content writing with rich keywords rather then totally depend on off page( directory submission, social bookmarking, profile linking etc)
    My best advice is for you to stop offering advice.

Your "quality content writing with rich keywords" is the problem.

A page about search engine optimization would have rich keywords like search, engine, and optimization in it but those are simply words they are not in any world a make for "quality content".
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo