1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Request a site review

I just threw this site up last month and am finding it difficult to get straight answers on whether or not a PHP site is SE friendly. Any, and I mean any, thoughts, suggestions, or jokes at my expense are welcome. The booking engine is a majority of the page, and is called via javascript. I'm uncertain (ok fine, clueless) how to optimize the rest of the page, except to add tags', which I did. Anyway, thank in advance for any wisdom:

http://www.travelquake.com
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm not a pro but PHP shouldn't hurt your site so long as you are careful about session ID's ( I learn't the hard way - ouch ).

You are not using the page titles effectively - at least put the page titles of each section in there eg "TravelQuake.com - Flights" or better yet "TravelQuake.com - Flights to the USA" whatever is relevant. "Welcome to TravelQuake.com" isn't doing you any favours

Use Header tags rather than the 'tpheader' style.

Where's you alt and title text? Use the title text on at least the key links, and the alt text of the images is an excellent place to put key words and phrases (you use them on the featured hotel image but not the featured destination??? ) .

Note - the crawlers will read the left hand tables first and as a concequence all the non key links ( Recommend Us, Search, Statistics, Submit News etc. ) will get followed before it gets to the real content and key links. Why not try moving the left hand column to the right of the main body section? It should help.

Finally read the forum, most of what I've said can be found in here somewhere, and let us all know what changes you made and what effect they had, so that we can all learn from one another.
  5. Registered User

Ok, made some changes...

Thanks for the reply. It was primestuff. I got Alt text on images moved in. The "welcome to travelquake.com" was autogenerated by my portal script. I changed that up a bit. Next I'll try to get some comment tags.

I don't know about ALT title tags or TP header style. I will research it. ALT text tags may be difficult, as I only started working in PHP last month (when I launched the site), but hopefully I will crack open the correct PHP module and find out how.

I have been seeing a number of bots' in my logs, so I'll keep my hopes up, keep working, and keep visiting here.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

the title text is placed in the anchor tag e.g. <A href="somepage" title="visit somepage in spring.." . A word of warning if a user hovers over the link the text will be displayed.
  9. Registered User

Just got some preliminary results. Looks, like I will probably be starting with a PR2, which is better than I had hoped. Thank you for your suggestions!