1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Newbie - please help!!

Hi

I hope you'll be able to offer me some advice on my new baby gift site.

http://www.newlittleperson.com

It's been live since November last year, but I can't get rankings anywhere (i.e. not in top 1000) for my top keywords baby gifts. I've kind of ground to a halt and would really appreciate some advice on what to do next.

Thanks in advance

Becky
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by newlittleperson
    Hi

I hope you'll be able to offer me some advice on my new baby gift site.

http://www.newlittleperson.com

It's been live since November last year, but I can't get rankings anywhere (i.e. not in top 1000) for my top keywords baby gifts. I've kind of ground to a halt and would really appreciate some advice on what to do next.

Thanks in advance

Becky
    Hey Becky welcome!

Not to take anything away from SEOChat but giftsforum.com will likely appeal more to your subject matter. Lee Anne Robert [owner of forum and Cuddles 'n Gifts] is also a Baby Gifts store and you'll find she know "everthing" about your subject area.

Much of the topical information is geared specifically to your industry - and I'm there as well.

In general though 4 things "that's it"

1. Titles - title element [what appears as the link in search engines] page title [what appears on the page] both should be based on your chosen terms

2. Links - from other websites should be based on your chosen terms

3. Content within your website [more 'informative pages' normally articles and news about baby stuff] based on your chosen terms, and

4. Internal link within your website to pages about baby stuff should resemble your chosen terms.

Some examples of each based on your website:

1. Your mainpage title element suggests you are about "HOME" not baby stuff and you don't have a page title [usually in text].

2. links to you - need lots - additionally you should organize the ones in you website on separate pages according to topics.

3. very little overall text information in your website - need to grow much in page numbers with relevant 'baby info'.

4. internal links [ Home ] [ Site Map ] [ Terms & Conds ] [ Search ] [ View Basket ] [ Checkout ] [ Contact Us ]

not one of the "main" links is about anything "baby" and "shop" to these - isn't either.

Overall according to what search engines use to define where you rank - you have very little that suggest you are about "Baby Gifts".

In any case - Gifts Forum has a volume of people that all started as you - most are Gift Baskets in general - but Lee Anne and few others are baby specific and will be happy to guide you in the right direction.
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi Becky,

First thing you need to do is to change the site title (home page <title> from "home" to "Baby Gifts" or something that includes (or preferably starts with) that phrase.

Next thing is to change your internal links to your home page so they say something like "baby gifts - home"

Make sure your incoming links say "baby gifts" (or phrases containing the term) and get more incoming links.

That should kick things off a little, sorry I don't have time for more - gotta run (dinner's ready)

...took a little too long to post this one & Fathom beat me to it
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks very very much!

Will get on to these changes asap and also check out the gift forum!