1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

http://www.dubbs-attacks.co.uk

Hello, for I am Dubbs.

This is my newish site and I'd appreciated feedback on all aspects - content mainly, but navigation, design etc.

I know the design is on the cusp of being the worst thing on the internet but it's up for a redesign once I master Dreamweaver.

Thanks for looking, any comments are appreciated.

Cheers

http://www.dubbs-attacks.co.uk
    Last edited by Dubbs; Nov 16th, 2004 at 06:30 PM.
  3. au courant
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

An important aspect of any website is a user friendly navagation, which I failed to see on your website. If someone were to come across your site with the intention of exploring it, they'll frustratingly leave if they can't get around the pages. Something I also noticed lacking is a color scheme. Both of these items are vital to appeal and style of a site.

You may also find more items placeable in the immediate viewing region were you to reduce the size of your font used. A general good size for news items is around 12.

Good luck.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice.

One of the things people have told me is the navigation is poor - which I certainly accept,
    and I'm working on a redesign with buttons at the top of the main pages, and easy drop-down menus on the others.

But could you go into more detail of why the navigation is bad? Is it because it's labelled poorly, or it's at the bottom?

As for the colours, at first I thought the colour scheme was quite good -
    red and black is an 80s homage but I do feel limited by it now. Again, why don't you like them - too dark, or lack of colours or poor font colour?

Cheers for the advice, it's very much appreciated and it's something I'll look into.
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The labels are fine (well, a bit wacky, but hey... ) but the fact that they're all at the bottom, in one big list doesn't help. Your navigation should reflect the structure of your site. This means that pages with "equal value" should have "equal coverage" on your page. Main chapters get big links near the top of your page. More trivial stuff: small ones, on the bottom. Make that structure a part of every page, to remind people (which in fact you are doing already, only it takes a lot of scrolling).

Furthermore, it's a bit confusing to have both your links AND some titles underlined. It makes you want to click titles...

The red on black is fine, but you also have blue on blue, and the odd dollop of yellow... It's not that one combo is a base colour scheme, and the other add a bit of detail. It's a bit of a mix... You should really pick two or three colours for the bulk of your content...

Just a design thing: it could look a bit more stylish just by using a slightly smaller font -as MaxM suggests- but adding a column of white space to the left and right. You know use the block of text -that is your content- as a shape on the page. And choose a colour scheme, even an odd one if you like, as long as it isn't based on six wild and unrelated colours.

Just my opinion mind you. Remember that your site is yours
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks Wit,

I take on board the links thing - the most important ones are now big buttons at the top in my redesign that I'm working on so that should be an improvement, so I think that hopefully will be sorted.

The colours I also see your point - the blue on blue text thing I'll probably change, but I only used a light blue background because more black would be too black and a white background means text is hardwork to read. The yellow has been removed in the new version so that's sorted too.

Thanks for your advice too, it's much appreciated.
  11. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's a fun read I must say. I like the schizo thing too (do I?)

Note that most people who make these journal-type sites use (free?) "blog sites" templates, although I appreciate your intention to set it up yourself. I guess both options have their (dis)advantages...
  13. No Profile Picture

The reason I didn't go with a actual blog site is because they're mind-numbingly dull. I don't care if someone went to Starbucks and had a great frapaccino (lol). I wanted just a weekly update that was there for comedy reasons.

Thanks for liking the site, I've had more like it than hate it which is good and feel free to sign my guestbook - and that goes for anyone.

Anymore advice would be great from anyone so thanks.

Dubbs
  15. au courant

To clarify my critique and pick from Wits, your color scheme isn't bad, but your avoidance of sticking to it is.

Your navagation should be accessible on your site first, above reading news items and other content.

To spicen your site up I'd recommend throwing a few more pictures. Once again, be sure to avoid colors not in your scheme.
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks, MaxM

The colours were a bit haywire on the homepage, but I've definatly changed it in the new version so the whole site should look a bit more uniform. The navigation is now in the form of clear big buttons at the top too - so both points were taken on board.

As for pictures, I agree I need more and there are new sections in the pipeline with lots of pictures so that should vary the content.

Cheers for taking the time to check the site out.
  19. au courant

My pleasure, once you get a new version up please update us. I'd be more than happy to give any tips on it. Once more, good luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo