1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

http://gas-scooters-on-the-web.com

I would like a critique to improve my position with google. I have gotten the home page to score highly on the SEO Doctor tool and after uploading the newly optimized page my page rank went from 0 to 4 and about 85% of my other pages went to 2's and 3's.

But if I search for my site with Rim Fusion it's not even in the top 500! I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am just starting to work link exchanges, but other scooter sites seem loathe to trade with you. I will be adding 4 that I did get (all totally unrelated to scooters) and will hope that helps.

My alexa ranking is 190,184 which according to my host SBI is top 1%. I see other sites in the top 30 with much lower Alexa ratings and lower or non-existant Page Ranks with google.

Sooooooo with all this supposedly great stuff, how come I am only getting 40 visitors per day, who look at an average of 2.7 pages?

Thanks,

Harvey
    www.gas-scooters-on-the-web.com
  3. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

the relaxzoolander ten ---

are you doing the codewriting yourself?
    that is one gnarly looking wad of code.

whats with all the images coming from another domain?

text menu links instead of or in addition to the rollover buttons would be helpful.

image file names with keywords would help in the long haul too.

not sure if google has anger issues with all those hyphens in the domain name.
    but i wouldnt be investing my time in a domain name like that.

your index page title:
    "Choose from over 30 popular and high performance gas scooters."
    .....is not really doing much for you.

i would move all of those javascipt functions below the meta tags.
    ...or better yet move them to a separate file....
    ....or even better....lose them altogether.

i would do longer and better written meta desc and keyw.

pick a style for your pages and stay with it for all pages.

do not link to your home page as:
    http://www.my-long-hyphenated-domain.com/index.html
    always use:
    http://www.my-long-hyphenated-domain.com/
    [for both internal and external links]

Last edited by relaxzoolander; Mar 31st, 2004 at 12:02 AM. Reason: "wouldnt"
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Answers to the Esteemed Relaxzoolanders Responses

Zoolander, I appreciate the list. I have provided my comments in CAPS below your itemized list to aid in our ongoing discussion. Not shouting by the way, just chose caps to keep the thread coherent!

Originally Posted by relaxzoolander
    the relaxzoolander ten ---

are you doing the codewriting yourself?
    that is one gnarly looking wad of code.

I STARTED OUT WITH THE UPLOADS THAT COME WITH SITE BUILDIT (SBI) AND THINK THE TEMPLATES HAVE ALOT OF THAT IMBEDDED. AS MY SKILL INCREASED WITH HTML, I AM NOW DOINIG FULL UPLOADS FROM FRONTPAGE MYSELF. MUCH OF THE JAVA SCRIPT IS RELATED TO THE MOVING URBAN SCOOTER AFFILIATE LINKS. THINK I SHOULD DITCH THAT?

whats with all the images coming from another domain?

MANY OF THE SCOOTER AFFILIATES WANT YOU TO HOT LINK TO THEM SO THAT THEY CAN DO PRICE CHANGES AND HAVE IT CARRY THROUGH TO THE THOUSANDS OF AFFILIATES THEY REPRESENT. THE OTHER ONES SHOULD ONLY BE BACK TO MY DOMAIN UNLESS I MISSED SOME. WHEN I FIRST STARTED I WAS CLUELESS ON WHAT A HOT LINK DID TO THE STATS OF THE HOST SITE AND NEO-SCOOTERS CLUED ME IN.

text menu links instead of or in addition to the rollover buttons would be helpful.

I AGREE. I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO SHARED BORDERS YET, SO I AM USING THE LAST CARRYOVER FROM SBI'S NAVIGATION TEMPLATE WITH THOSE SLIGHTLY OUT OF PLACE LOOKING BUTTONS. THEY HAVE THIS <NAV> COMMAND IMBEDDED THAT I CANNOT FIGURE OUT IF IT'S A SBI CODE OR A FRONTPAGE CODE. ESSENTIALLY LETS YOU REORDER YOUR NAV BAR FROM THEIR SITE. UNTIL I FIGURE OUT AND IMPLEMENT SHARED BORDERS I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO RECONFIGURE ALL 50 PAGES TO ADD A BUTTON WHEN I ADD A PAGE.

WHERE WOULD THE TEXT MENU LINKS GO?

image file names with keywords would help in the long haul too.

I FINALLY FOUND THIS FREE PROGRAM THAT IMBEDS INTO FRONT PAGE AND AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNS ALT TAGS TO THE IMAGES WHICH OF COURSE YOU CAN REVISE. I WASN'T CLUED IN WHEN I BUILT THE PAGE AND USED A SEO BLIND CODING FOR MY IMAGES. DUMB. NOW I NEED TO GO BACK IN AND REDO ALL THE IMAGES. IS THERE A UTILITY THAT WILL CHANGE THE FILE NAME OF THE IMAGE IN FRONT PAGE AND CHANGE IT IN YOUR WINDOWS EXPLORER IMAGE-FILES DIRECTORY? THE ONLY WAY I SEE TO DO IT NOW, IS TO GO BACK IN THE DIRECTORY, MAKE THE CHANGE AND THEN RE-INSERT EVERY GRAPHIC, EVERY HYPER-LINK ALL OVER AGAIN. HUGE TASK.

not sure if google has anger issues with all those hyphens in the domain name.
    but i would be investing my time in a domain name like that.

PRESUME YOU MEANT TO SAY YOU WOULDN'T BE INVESTING TIME? SUPPOSEDLY HYPHENS ARE PREFERABLE TO UNDERSCORES. DOES YOUR SAME CONCERN APPLY TO THE FILE NAMES OF THE PICS? I SHOULDN'T GO WITH GAS-SCOOTER-CALIFORNIA-LEGAL-VIPER-40-CC.GIF ? DO YOU REALLY THINK I AM GETTING PENALIZED FOR THAT? IT'S A BIT AWKWARD ADMITTEDLY, BUT HOPEFULLY NOT SPAMMY? THERE IS LIKE ONLY TWO MAYBE THREE DOMAINS LEFT ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH WITH THE WORDS GAS AND SCOOTER IN THEM IT SEEMS. I HAD TO SKIP A MEAL TO COME UP WITH THAT ONE!

your index page title:
    "Choose from over 30 popular and high performance gas scooters."
    .....is not really doing much for you.

I HEAR YOU. I HAVE REVISED THAT TITLE A BUNCH OF TIMES. BETTER TO GO WITH "GAS SCOOTERS INCLUDING BLADEZ, MOSQUITO, RAZORBACK, QINGQI" YOU THINK?

i would move all of those javascipt functions below the meta tags.
    ...or better yet move them to a separate file....
    ....or even better....lose them altogether.

HMMM....DOES JAVASCRIPT CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH RANKINGS? AHHHH...JUST LOOKED AT MY CODE. KEEP IT IN THE <HEAD> OF COURSE, JUST SWAP IT WITH THE META FILES, SO THE SEARCH ENGINE SEES THEM FIRST. GOT IT. I ALSO JUST BUILT A TEMPLATE YESTERDAY TO SHIM A NEW TABLE SUCH THAT MY CONTENT (FIRST 90 WORDS) GETS INDEXED BEFORE MY LINKS AS IS TYPICAL WITH A TWO COLUM TABLE.

JUST UPLOADED MY "NOT YOUR AVERAGE LINKS" PAGE LAST NIGHT IN THE NEW TABLE. LOTS OF ROOM FOR AN AD-SENSE SKY SCRAPER ON THE LEFT.

I DO WANT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT YOUR CONCERNS WITH JAVA, AS I WAS ABOUT TO PUT A BUNCH OF IT IN FUTURE PAGES. NOT GOOD?
    i would do longer and better written meta desc and keyw.

HOW LONG CAN YOU GO WITH EITHER OF THOSE META'S. I HEARD THEY TRUNCATE AT 200 CHARACTERS? DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT?

pick a style for your pages and stay with it for all pages.

I HEAR YA! THAT GOOFY BACKGROUND IS A CARRYOVER STILL FROM MY SBI HTML EDITOR. I HAVE FINALLY TAKEN THE BACKGROUNDS FROM OVER 50 SCOOTER IMAGES IN ADOBE SO THAT I CAN PUT THEM ON MY STANDARD BACKGROUND THAT APPEARS ON THE FIRST PAGE. I AGREE AS YOU LEAVE THE HOME PAGE, IT'S A BIT JOLTING WHEN YOU REACH MY PRODUCTS PAGES.

do not link to your home page as:
    http://www.my-long-hyphenated-domain.com/index.html
    always use:
    http://www.my-long-hyphenated-domain.com/

[for both internal and external links]

HMMM...IS MY HOME BUTTON LINKED THAT WAY? THE ONLY WAY TO CHANGE THAT IS TO GET OFF THE SBI TEMPLATE. IF I MISSED YOUR POINT, PLEASE CLARIFY.

THANKS AGAIN. YOU HAVE MY COMMITTMENT TO MAKE THE UPDATES, AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL KEEP COMING FORWARD WITH THE ADVICE FOR ME. MUCH APPRECIATED.

BEST REGARDS, HARVEY, WWW.GAS-SCOOTERS-ON-THE-WEB.COM

7. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

hyphenated domain names...
    the breed of web sites that use multi-hyphened domain names in my opinion are near the low end of the quality scale. this impacts....no.1....visitor impressions....no.2...i believe that it could someday be a real factor in serp rankings. thus...i say i would not invest in such a name for the long haul. particularly since domain names have little to do with rankings...and any adverse effect of a non-keyword name can be easily overcome with good link text.

get all non-relevant words the hell out of your page title...
    this means words like 'including'.

javascript is best kept in a separate file.

yes....the home button is a problem.
    i would replace all of those buttons with text links.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo