Thread: Conversion rate

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Conversion rate

I've got a site that has been around for a few years now, and it gets a decent ammount of traffic (about 5k visits a month). we sell aftermarket UTV parts, so it is a very niche market, we are not the sort of business that brings millions of visits per month, however we have a painfully low conversion rate. given that we are a niche market, typically niche markets have higher than average conversion. anyone want to take a crack at why my site is doing so poorly?
    the site is:
    http://www.ventracing.com
    thanks in advance,
    --Brian
  3. No Profile Picture

Can I know what is the conversion rate of your site?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you sure that you use proper keywords? What is your bounce rate?
  7. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

if you are optimizing and promoting your site, i suggest to use a web stats like GA. It can help to give a reports of the activity of your visitors on your site, and from this you can identify the problem, the weakness and strength of your site.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

you're still using the standard (flawed) oscommerce checkout.
    Your site seems reasonable.. i'd be looking to work on making your checkout to make it as easy to use as possible.
    For instance on the https://www.ventracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=login page, it is unclear as to what the visitor would do. They see the 'sign in' section, realise they cant as they are a new customer, or perhaps assume this is a closed site to members only, and probably leave.

You need a redesign on the checkout pages. Look at the site from the viewpoint of someone who has never bought a product before and dont know how to use checkouts. And the golden rule is to assume everyone is stupid. You'll soon realise the problems.

Also, your site is the kind that will attract sales from referrals and previous customers.. what are you doing to attract and convert these people back?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

your website seems to be fine. what is your bounce rate and the resources of your traffic. Is it targeted traffic?
  13. No Profile Picture

in response

Everyone, thanks for the quick response. I am running GA, and have been for a few years, so I feel like we have some decent data. Here are some numbers to play with that may help.
    Traffic sources (last 30 days)
    google (organic)
    1,509 31.57%
    google (cpc)
    1,375 28.77%
    (direct) ((none))
    626 13.10%
    bing (organic)
    365 7.64%
    yahoo (organic)
    365 7.64%

here are my top 10 key terms

1. vent racing 445 7.99 00:03:31 35.96% 18.65%
    2. rzr parts 198 7.63 00:03:19 76.26% 17.17%
    3. polaris rzr accessories 136 5.85 00:03:03 78.68% 19.12%
    4. rzr doors 73 6.01 00:03:55 78.08% 24.66%
    5. rzr exhaust 60 4.47 00:02:04 68.33% 68.33%
    6. rzr shocks 52 3.81 00:01:44 75.00% 57.69%
    7. utv accessories 49 5.12 00:02:45 81.63% 20.41%
    8. polaris rzr s accessories 39 7.72 00:03:45 84.62% 10.26%
    9. polaris rzr s exhaust 38 3.61 00:01:32 76.32% 63.16%
    10. rzr 170 performance 36 13.17 00:16:56 16.67% 13.89%

My site wide conversion rate is 0.19% in my experience, admittedly in other industries mostly, we saw conversion ratesin the 1-4% range, but at this point I would be really happy with 0.5%

Thanks again for all the ideas, please help me zero in on what I can do. I know the cart is a bit clumsy, but our cart abandon rate is low-ish, so I did not focus on that first.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

0.19 is abysmally low, even for a poorly performing site. There is something wrong. Whats your overall bounce on your landing pages?

Three things convert sales, in order of importance...

1) Design. Its the ONLY thing your customer has to go one as to how good an operation you are. It has to reflect a professional company behind it in order to inspire confidence that the product they buy will actually arrive on their doorstep.
    2) prices (yes, this is second to the the design). I have no idea how competitive you are. Free delivery is also a must.. no question.
    3) ease of use. Many people will give up throughout the product selection and the checkout process if they cant use it properly.

Your design is okay. I have no idea about your prices. That leaves 3. Either your cart is putting people off (as i said the oscommerce checkout is severely flawed), or you have a problem (perhaps with choosing the wrong payment provider).

And whats your checkout drop off rate from cart to completion? If you havent already, set up a goal with each page as part of the funnel so you can see at which stage of the process you are losing people. Providing people are actually putting things into the cart, i'm inclined to think this is definitely a checkout issue.
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jul 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by freeflyer
    0.19 is abysmally low, even for a poorly performing site. There is something wrong. Whats your overall bounce on your landing pages?

Three things convert sales, in order of importance...

1) Design. Its the ONLY thing your customer has to go one as to how good an operation you are. It has to reflect a professional company behind it in order to inspire confidence that the product they buy will actually arrive on their doorstep.
    2) prices (yes, this is second to the the design). I have no idea how competitive you are. Free delivery is also a must.. no question.
    3) ease of use. Many people will give up throughout the product selection and the checkout process if they cant use it properly.

Your design is okay. I have no idea about your prices. That leaves 3. Either your cart is putting people off (as i said the oscommerce checkout is severely flawed), or you have a problem (perhaps with choosing the wrong payment provider).

And whats your checkout drop off rate from cart to completion? If you havent already, set up a goal with each page as part of the funnel so you can see at which stage of the process you are losing people. Providing people are actually putting things into the cart, i'm inclined to think this is definitely a checkout issue.
    I was wondering what a good bounce rate would be?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Taken as an average...
    Anything over 50 is a fail. 30-45% is acceptable. 20-30% is very good. Below 20% is normally unlikely. This is a fairly general rule across most sites - ecommerce, blogs, corporate etc.
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jul 24th, 2011 at 04:26 AM.