1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Doesn't AdSense reduce your page conversion rate?

It seems that after you have crafted your landing page to move the maximum percentage of visitors straight to your Buy Now button, the last thing you would want to do is drop AdSense links all over it to distract people. One of the rules for maximizing page conversion rate is to get rid of anything that doesn't contribute to your message and it seems like that would include AdSense links.

Am I missing something?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Adsense can be a good way to make money but if your site is ecommerce or you're selling something you really want to give the customer the least amount of chances to possibly leave your page. Adsense imo gives the internet user way too many chances to leave my site, but on my niche sites like blogs or specialty sites that don't sell anything it brings some supplemental income.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exactly! Pages that try to sell something are (or should be) super-tuned, down to the subliminal level. If there's a picture of someone, their eyes should be looking at the Buy button. Everything that doesn't help sell the item needs to go. The last thing you want is irrelevant adds sprinkled all over the page.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Am I missing something?
    Nope I don't think so - you are correct - usually you would want to avoid at all costs losing people from your buy now page (or any for the matter).
    The only explanation I can think of is that the revenue generated from the clicks in a competitive niche is higher (or at least comparable) to the value of the profit of the product being sold. But if that were the case the entire business model and dynamic would be in question anyway.
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by SteveA
    It seems that after you have crafted your landing page to move the maximum percentage of visitors straight to your Buy Now button, the last thing you would want to do is drop AdSense links all over it to distract people. One of the rules for maximizing page conversion rate is to get rid of anything that doesn't contribute to your message and it seems like that would include AdSense links.

Am I missing something?
    It's probably "6 on one hand" and "half-dozen on the other".

I doubt you would actually distract interested buyers but you could possibly gain some chain for "just window shoppers".

That is however a question for Site Optimizer though. You are purely guessing without any actual evidence to support without doing A/B Testing.
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 13th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.