1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Does PPC really NOT affect organic searching?

I know, I know... "Pay Per Click advertising traffic will not affect G's organic searching." Blah, blah, blah....
    But, I pose this to you, colleagues: A direct competitor of mine has an organic search rank with Google that always lands him on page one, yet I see that he still runs a PPC program for the same keywords that he's already coming up organically for. I've drawn a few shaky conclusions, but I'm a noob and may very well be overlooking the obvious. Does anyone have any idea why a PPC campaign is running on keywords that already list the same site in the SERPS organically?!?!?!

Arow Blackdragon
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by arows1faith
    I know, I know... "Pay Per Click advertising traffic will not affect G's organic searching." Blah, blah, blah....
    But, I pose this to you, colleagues: A direct competitor of mine has an organic search rank with Google that always lands him on page one, yet I see that he still runs a PPC program for the same keywords that he's already coming up organically for. I've drawn a few shaky conclusions, but I'm a noob and may very well be overlooking the obvious. Does anyone have any idea why a PPC campaign is running on keywords that already list the same site in the SERPS organically?!?!?!

Arow Blackdragon
    It makes "good business sense"!

Some people ignore PPC as purely self promotion and only click on organic results.

Some people when they are in the buying mode ignore organic so they don't need to wade through tons of information to get to a pay page e.g. an information site with AdSense isn't really selling anything specific and can't endorse the advertiser either.

"Rarely" will the same searcher click on both thus it makes perfect sense to continue to run PPC.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

They are attacking on ALL fronts! Are you playing to win or farting around?
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It doesn't affect your organics or vice versa. I have ran more tests on this than I can remember over the past couple years.

The last one: #1 - #3 for 40k terms, but on page 3 and 4 for organics.

In 5 months PPC rankings were the same as before, 75% of the optimization of the site changed, up to #1 on most terms and 2-3 on the remainder. The PPC's remained constant.

Turned off all PPC for 8 weeks, organics remained.

Turned them back on, everything remained the same.

PPC and Organics have NOTHING to do with each other and are not affected by each others rank.

HOWEVER, many of the same optimizations techniques need to be used for both, such as keywords, ad content, landing page and so on.

I explain to clients that the PPC algo is a small version of the Organic versions of Google's algorithm.

GaryTheScubaGuy
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Talking

Good stuff! Thanks for the differing points of view!