1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Adsense CTR very low - shall i ditch it for the sake of other sites?

Sorry my 2nd question of the day and thanks for your patience on this one

I'm never sure if you are allowed to discuss Adsense CTR figures so i will just give close estimates

I run 5 web sites on topics that i have a good knowledge on for the sake of the example i'll use 2 sites...

SITE A gets a couple of thousand visitors a day, but they are regular fans of the site - so the adsense click thru is very poor say 0.5%CTR

SITE B gets a few hundred visitors a day all unique and adsense is very good say 2.5%CTR

I've tried split testing both sites and even changed the layouts - I've studied heat maps and my conclusion is clearly SITE A will always have around 0.5%CTR

So overall my CTR for my adsense account is 1.5%CTR TOTAL

I've read about smart pricing in the past but never been sure of whether its true - if it is Then should i remove SITE A from Adsense?

Any suggestions as to what i should do for the sake of SITE B?

Thanks in advance
    Zane
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by zanet
    Sorry my 2nd question of the day and thanks for your patience on this one

I'm never sure if you are allowed to discuss Adsense CTR figures so i will just give close estimates

I run 5 web sites on topics that i have a good knowledge on for the sake of the example i'll use 2 sites...

SITE A gets a couple of thousand visitors a day, but they are regular fans of the site - so the adsense click thru is very poor say 0.5%CTR

SITE B gets a few hundred visitors a day all unique and adsense is very good say 2.5%CTR

I've tried split testing both sites and even changed the layouts - I've studied heat maps and my conclusion is clearly SITE A will always have around 0.5%CTR

So overall my CTR for my adsense account is 1.5%CTR TOTAL

I've read about smart pricing in the past but never been sure of whether its true - if it is Then should i remove SITE A from Adsense?

Any suggestions as to what i should do for the sake of SITE B?

Thanks in advance
    Zane
    you can give try to other websites as well like Right Media , cpx , currently i am using RetrackMedia they are paying me good CTR more than Adsense and Clicksor

Google about RetrackMedia and register there
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You are correct that different types of visitors will have different engagements with the ads. I see similar responses on my sites.

You mention that you have done some experiments with different ad placements, different colors, etc. How much of that have you done?

Some of my pages have been through 15 different layouts and the better performing layouts have been through millions of impressions automatically rotating ad colors.

It is amazing the difference that placement and color can make. I have also experimented with other ad networks and affiliate offers. However, 98% of the time adsense outperforms everything out there.

In general I have found that 160x600 skyscraper performs well in a column on the left side of the page.... a 300 x 250 rectangle performs well in a column on the right side of the page.

The surprise to me... the 468x15 and 728x15 link units perform really well right above the title line of your content. However, to make them look nice, place them in a table with about 8 pixels of padding and a one pixel border around them. Give it a nice background color that is in slight contrast with your page background color.

Keep experimenting with adsense... good luck!
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL