1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Will Optimization for Google Works on Other Search Engines?

I was wondering if optimizing a website for Google will help it on other search engines like Bing, Yahoo, Ask etc.?
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Simple answer: YES

Focus on Google because the majority of all searches are with Google. Bing and Yahoo use the Bing search engine with minor tweaks between them. The Google and Bing algos, though different, yield similary results in most searches. But, because Google is so dominant, your return on effort will likely be better by focusing on Google.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : Yep... focus on the Google. They have the lion's share of the search market
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think you'll find that Google puts more emphasis on off-site factors namely link building. Content is quite important too.

Bing/Yahoo tend to have a little stronger emphasis with on-site factors such as title tags, h tags, etc. I do remember reading some time ago that Yahoo likes meta descriptions and keywords. They do pay attention to backlinks but not as much as Google.

Stick with trying to please your users first than Google and the rest should fall into place.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  7. No Profile Picture

Definitely yes.

Despite search engines all using dozens or even hundreds of "variables" for determining matching pages and rankings, they're all based around the same concepts. First, are the query words on the page or in backlinks? Second, what is the page rank of the site (which is basically the quality and quantity of inbound links). If you work on those core factors, you're rankings on all engines will be better.

Once you get into specific differences between engines, you're basically fighting for 1st or 2nd place on the SERPs. If that's the case you'll need to get more specific in your efforts (using google webmaster tools, procog, or some other SEO tools).
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

umm...yeah generally, yeah...here are my thoughts and rumors I've heard:

bing = much narrower definitions of tags such as rel="canonical" + rel="next" / rel="prev", i also suspect b/c their special relationship w/ FB, they may handle social factors different than the G..they also have stricter indexing..

baidu = I don't have experience w/ this one directly but word around the campfire is that this one if fairly rudimentary and fairly easy to optimize for with a bunch of tactics that no longer work for google

yahoo =umm... I have not optimized for yahoo either but given that they are powered by bing a lot of the same logic probably goes for them as well...if you search queries the organic resutls are the same, sometiem the paid results, local packs and maps results vary between the universal search for the two...

Regarding ask, that is a suprising one...
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  11. No Profile Picture

No. I have optimized blog post and I observed that there are times that my blog post is on page for both search engines and there are times that I'm on page 1 and in yahoo my post in no where to be found. I believe yahoo use different algorithm in ranking blog post.

Just like what the above members suggest to you. Focus on Google since there far a large number of people using Google search engine compared to Yahoo.