1. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Snap.com has changed its look and feel. Looks like a way to monetize the site

Got some visitors from Snap.com and went to look at the site.

They have made some dramatic changes.

The site will show traffic for various search terms. Very valuable. To repeat what was said here last spring...that data would be invaluable if it showed lots of traffic.

The new look bothered me though. It is taking the "feeling lucky" thing a big step further.

Snap.com lists sites in its algo for the search term....and it loads the first site in the term up on the web.

That's a killer and makes it worthwhile to be first for a searchterm at snap.com.

What it looks like to me, though is a way to monetize the site.

Pay snap.com to be first for a search term and they will both list your site first...and open it for the viewer.

That makes #1 infinately more valuable then anything below it. Pretty tricky.

What do you think?

Dave
    255 chars s*ck
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Interesting. Too bad all of my #1 sites don't show up in the window. They get the message "The website www.whatever.com may not preview properly. Click here to open the site in a new window". Drag. Wonder why that is.
  5. SEO Apprentice
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think that it is going to make #1 significantly more expensive if you are using their CPC (Cost-Per-Click). I believe you will definitely get more people that are just "browsing" or gathering product information onto your site since it is presented for them immediately.

For that reason I would recommend only going for #1 if you are using their CPA (Cost-Per-Action) mode. That way you only pay if the customer actually buys something.

I wonder how they decide who out ranks who with respect to CPC bids and CPA bids?
  7. Go OSU Beavers!

Oh wow!

They have really made their SE pretty cool looking and useful. When you search for something it gives you the top results on the sidbar and you can cruise through them very quickly. This is really really useful if you want to fly past spammy sites or you "sort of " know what you're looking for.

I love the new design and functionability!!!
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I used to like Snap back years ago.
    Even though back then I had no clue on how to get listed.
    I hope they do well..
  11. Contributing User

Not bad, still it is not acceptable having users wait that long before returning the result of a query.
  13. Free the SB

I think I've learned something from snap.com.

I have 2 #1 rankings there. I got some traffic. Frankly I wouldn't expect traffic from there at all. My terms are not that popular and usage of the engine must be miniscule.

One quick point. In comparing engines, as Sorvoja pointed out, loading the web site, takes way too long.

If I'm Joe Average user...I want faster results.

Nevertheless, showing first...and most importantly having my site flash up to the searcher IS VERY EFFECTIVE

Snap had a total of 25 searches for my major phrase. I wouldn't expect recent traffic off that number EXCEPT THAT MY SITE FLASHED UP.

That is an incredibly powerful presentation. More for advertising, I imagine than for search...but extremely effective.

Lots of room for thought.

If you aren't first...it becomes a big problem. It really is set up as an advertising only SE IMHO
  15. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I agree with you EP around it being great for #1 and crap for everyone else. I tried a search for a KW that's been sending me a lot of traffic from G to see how the SERPs measured up. I was not impressed. Almost all the results had the term "blackhat" mixed in (this was a common SEO KW I looked up, not black or white).

Anyway, I don;t get that thieir SERPs are based on relevancy, or that they even attempt it. I think the show is the thing for Snap.

Also, backing up the less than #1 position, what's with the trashcan that appears on mouseover for the other results? I *hope* snap doesn't index my site. Whatever small amount of traffic I *might* get from them is not worth 1 customer seeing my site at #2 or less with that style of presentation.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo