1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Optimizing for Baidu

I've been trying to do some research on optimizing my site for Baidu but can't find any recent articles. I'm hoping this community can help.

I have a global website that is translated in 13 different languages. We are setting up a separate domain (.com.cn) on China servers. Currently, all the URLs are in English, but the content was translated in Chinese. I know this isn't the ideal situation, but there were many factors that weighed in to this decision. Anyway, my company's office in China will want to author new pages at some point. Should those URLs be authored in Chinese or English? The content on page will be in Chinese but shoudl the URL be as well going forward? Is it a problem if there is a mixutre of URLs in Chinese and English? How does Baidu treat this type of situation?

Does anybody have insight on this issue?

Thanks for your help!
  3. Marketroid
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I tried to register for a Baidu account, but too many obstacles, including you need to give them a Chinese phone # for verification.

I'd say the authored in Chinese or English is not an SEO focus, but a "whatever is easiest for you" focus. I'd say the url needs to be in English is the company's main language is English.

I wouldn't be concerned about the mixture, just let the Chinese webmaster do what he thinks is best for the company. Sometimes you need to experience the language situation as it relates to Baidu SERPs, them learn and grow according to your experience not some other webmaster's.

Just that you will be doing some SEO will give you enough of an advantage for Baidu SERP rankings. Right?