1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Issues with Yandex

Hi guys!

I run an e-learning school called onlineteachersuk.com. When I started the biz I was mostly focused on the Russian market so set the main language as Russian and the secondary (/en/) as English. After about 3 years online we are doing well in Google for English language results and ok for Russian, but Yandex doesn't like us very much!)) I'm trying to understand how the two search engines might view the same site/pages differently...

e.g. If you take a keyword phrase in Russian like "английский по скайпу с носителем" (English by Skype with a native speaker), we are around page 2 on Google but absolutely nowhere on Yandex. This seems rather odd given that we have more Russian pages than English on the site (mostly text content in the blog). We use the above keyword phrase enough (in my opinion).

I've been watching some vids from Russian SEO websites like seopult and get the feeling that Yandex isn't as strict as Google with regard to purchased backlinks. I obviously don't want to pay for backlinks just to get popular on Yandex and, in the process, attract a penalty from Google. From what I've seen Yandex seems to (1) give preference to .ru sites (its equivalent of Adwords won't allow .com websites to advertise...you have to be .ru) and (2) places a lot of emphasis on backlinks (perhaps with fewer checks on their origin/quality). Our server is in Russia so geotargeting shouldn't be an issue.

Our strategy to date has been strongly in favour of organic SEO through the writing of "valuable" content (+ selected keywords) in Russian and English, with updates about once a week for the last 3 years. To be honest, I haven't done much backlink building. I just put our content out via our social network groups/pages on FB, VK, Twitter, G+, etc. Perhaps I should be doing more in this area.

Has anyone encountered similar issues with Yandex? Any thoughts on backlink building - is it really necessary to make a conscious effort to go out there and build them or should you just write good stuff and let the links come to you?

Cheers,

Alex
  3. Contributing User

Hey Alex,

Ann Smarty share me your problem. I'll try to help you with this problem. If you can share your website URL that should help to speed up the process. However right now I can tell you few things that can help you understand Yandex that has a slightly different algo.

New websites do not deserve to achieve ranking in Yandex for a quite long period of time. In average it ranges 6 to 12 months depends on the niche.
    With few exceptions:
    you've got a good amount of RELEVANT and trusted backlinks
    OR
    you have a trending content such as news, social and seasonal content (movies, events, etc)

I strongly suggest you NOT to use seopult or sape or any other backlink providers. Mostly because their backlinks are totally crap! To speed up your Google AND Yandex ranking and take your project safe from penalties you can get for buying backlinks I suggest you to work with manual linkbuilding tactics, one of the most popular and effective tactics in Russia and Ukraine called crowd marketing. You can contact these guys brandcitations.com (they are from Ukraine) they 100% will help you with this.
    BTW tell them you are from Yuriy Titkov and ask for a discount.
    If you feel you can handle linkbuilding on your own. You can get some trusted website in your niche from liveinternet.ru/rating/ru/education/ don't try to use anchor text links brand/domain mentions will works.

Feel free to ask additional questions.
    Last edited by jackblatt; Jul 24th, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jackblatt
    Hey Alex,

Ann Smarty share me your problem. I'll try to help you with this problem. If you can share your website URL that should help to speed up the process. However right now I can tell you few things that can help you understand Yandex that has a slightly different algo.

New websites do not deserve to achieve ranking in Yandex for a quite long period of time. In average it ranges 6 to 12 months depends on the niche.
    With few exceptions:
    you've got a good amount of RELEVANT and trusted backlinks
    OR
    you have a trending content such as news, social and seasonal content (movies, events, etc)

I strongly suggest you NOT to use seopult or sape or any other backlink providers. Mostly because their backlinks are totally crap! To speed up your Google AND Yandex ranking and take your project safe from penalties you can get for buying backlinks I suggest you to work with manual linkbuilding tactics, one of the most popular and effective tactics in Russia and Ukraine called crowd marketing. You can contact these guys brandcitations.com (they are from Ukraine) they 100% will help you with this.
    BTW tell them you are from Yuriy Titkov and ask for a discount.
    If you feel you can handle linkbuilding on your own. You can get some trusted website in your niche from liveinternet.ru/rating/ru/education/ don't try to use anchor text links brand/domain mentions will works.

Feel free to ask additional questions.
    Thanks a lot! I've been trying to get my head around the differences between Google and Yandex for some time now. Here's a link to my site: Online Teachers UK - Improve your English today with OTUK!

It's in English and Russian - we regularly pen content in both languages. My target audience is traditionally Russian-speaking because I lived in Russia for 10 years and taught English there. I've also lived in Kiev, but only for short periods.

I definitely don't want to buy any links, but still need to build links to the site so will check out the sources you suggested. What do you think about posting in a commercial blog on Habrahabra.ru (forum for IT guys)? I have a mate who owns software company in Russia and he suggested a do a guest blog post for him there...something about how we teach English online to IT guys in Russia, why you need English if you work in IT, how technology gives better access to UK teachers, etc. The only roblem is that I need to write it in Russian...уже половину слов забыл!))
  7. Contributing User

Well, It's better for your to use https://twitter.com/search and search for such phrases as "посоветуйте английский", "где учить английский", "как английский". I've made a screenshot with 3 potential clients for you. Here you go: Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 8.26.43 PM.png
    You might also check such services as talkwalker.com and track mentioned phrases above. Basically those phrases ppl usually use to ask an advice where to learn English, it can be forums, social networks and other online resources.

According to your website as I've told you in my prev post your website is too young for Yandex, so you have to stick to linkbuilding otherwise no chance to rank.

Comments on this post

• otuk agrees
    Yuriy Titkov, SEM Consultant. Google Partner Academy trainer in CEE region.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jackblatt
    Well, It's better for your to use https://twitter.com/search and search for such phrases as "посоветуйте английский", "где учить английский", "как английский". I've made a screenshot with 3 potential clients for you. Here you go: Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 8.26.43 PM.png
    You might also check such services as talkwalker.com and track mentioned phrases above. Basically those phrases ppl usually use to ask an advice where to learn English, it can be forums, social networks and other online resources.

According to your website as I've told you in my prev post your website is too young for Yandex, so you have to stick to linkbuilding otherwise no chance to rank.
    Thanks again Yuri! I did similar searches on VK before and sent people PMs in Russian, but found that few were interested in taking paid courses with us online. Also did some promo using Adwords but had little joy from that because the quality of queries coming in were not as good as from organic traffic. It seemed like these approaches to promo were perhaps "forcing" our services on people who were not necessarily interested in them. With organic search, people find our website themselves, probably shop around a bit too, make a decision on their own and then contact us if they are serious/interested. Maybe I've been steering clear of more direct/aggressive promo for too long and it's time for a change. Our social media activities could certainly be improved.

Our site has been online about 3 years. How old does it need to be before Yandex will start taking it seriously? For the first 6 months we were nowhere at all on Yandex - sandbox, as you mentioned. Now I'd say about 35% of our traffic comes from Yandex. We rank much better on Google in English and Russian for most keywords.

I'll follow up properly on all your suggestions next week. Thanks again!
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi, otuk. Yandex loves backlinks more than Google, but you should be very carefully with links because in 15-th of May 2015 Yandex starts using new anti-seo algorithm - Minusinsk. So, choose only relevant and quality links which can bring your site real visitors (so links should be with good user's behaviour). Also, if you show me URL, I can give you more advices because I have a lot experience specifically in Russian SEO.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by miromind
    Hi, otuk. Yandex loves backlinks more than Google, but you should be very carefully with links because in 15-th of May 2015 Yandex starts using new anti-seo algorithm - Minusinsk. So, choose only relevant and quality links which can bring your site real visitors (so links should be with good user's behaviour). Also, if you show me URL, I can give you more advices because I have a lot experience specifically in Russian SEO.
    Hi Miromind! Thanks for the tips re: quality links. Same approach as Google, though probably not as strict I would imagine. URL here: onlineteachersuk.com/ - dual language site in English/Russian. Still not 100% sure I'm going to put lots of effort into promo via Yandex. The devaluation of the rouble has made our prices twice as expensive for Russians in real terms so we may be better off exploring markets in the EU, Asia and Brazil. On the other hand, there are still plenty of people in Moscow/Spb who earn good money and would be interested in our services. I'd like to keep one eye on Yandex and try to understand it a little better.
  15. Contributing User

1. Analyze your competitors.
    2. Determine the quality and average frequency they are added.
    3. Pick very qualitty donors (the number of backlinks to a potential donor should be more than the number of outgoing links). The donor websites must relate to the region of your school. You can use such services as rotapost and miralinks to find more or less quality donors.
    4. Get backlinks at the rate that is average for your top 3 competitors. The rate is crucial for Yandex or you might get under the filter, although its not as bad as in case with Google.

Additionally get some backlinks from people in social networks (VK, Odnoklassniki, Mail.ru) and take advantage of quality blog posting.