1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I Spy A Little Applebot

This could be an interesting tidbit or it could be nothing.

One of our tech people sent over this bot that he found crawling around:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5376e Safari/8536.25 (compatible; Applebot/0.3; +http://www.apple.com/go/applebot)
    If you follow that link, they tell you a bit about what the bot does.

Applebot is the web crawler for Apple, used by products including Siri and Spotlight Suggestions. It respects customary robots.txt rules and robots meta tags. It originates in the 17.0.0.0 net block.
    If robots instructions don't mention Applebot but do mention Googlebot, the Apple robot will follow Googlebot instructions.
    Anyone seen this little guy before? I got talking to some people and they had fun speculating.

I did some research and found out that Spotlight is Apple's search engine that they're developing: Apple and Google are waging a war over mobile search

Probably common knowledge but I hadn't looked into it that much. Anyway, one person I talked to wondered if iPhones, Siri, and Mac OS use Spotlight...how long before Safari starts using Spotlight?

In some far flung future, do you think Spotlight will be a real challenger to Google? Or is it just a lot of hot air and hype?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Well, 75% of Google's mobile search revenue was generated from an Apple device, so, as always, follow the money and it will lead you to your answer! Report: Google Had $12 Billion In Mobile Search Revenue, 75 Percent From iOS
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I think I would challenge the 75% of revenue form iOS. Apple have lost massive ground since that article was written (2015) with android now having over 85% of the mobile market, I understand that does not include tablets and revenue is not always equal to users but to claim apple contribute 75% of ad revenue I think is somewhat inflected in 2017. I doubt it was true back then let alone now.
    But who knows it is on a website so it must be true
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Siri also displays results from bing for searches.

It makes perfect sense that they would develop their own index at some point.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo