Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What's benefit of Web Directory?

What's the better benefit of Web Directory than other link?

For those Free directories, it make sense to list my site to get one more backlink.
    But, I'm not sure if it's worth to pay to get listed. I don't see traffic coming through web directory listing so far.
    If you need to pay, is it better to pay SEO service company to get backlink?
    What do you think?
  3. No Profile Picture

Seo Web Directory is the best technique to get good back links. There are lot of benefit's of web directory.
    If your website get the back link from high page rank web directory then your website page rank also increase.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : nonsense (see below)
    Last edited by ClickyB; Aug 5th, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: tidying up
  5. Cool bra. Go with Christ!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Thomson
    What's the better benefit of Web Directory than other link?
    For those Free directories, it make sense to list my site to get one more backlink.
    But, I'm not sure if it's worth to pay to get listed. I don't see traffic coming through web directory listing so far.
    If you need to pay, is it better to pay SEO service company to get backlink?
    What do you think?
    You won't get much SEO relevance, PR / link juice or traffic from most free web directories... IMO the only exception is Dmoz/ODP which used to give some SEO benefits but they've largely gone nowadays.
    With that said, they're free, so you are getting what you pay for!

I wouldn't pay an SEO company to get me backlinks, but for a website owner with no SEO skills, paying for an all 'round SEO Service (including backlink propogation) is a reasonable idea... and - if you can find a skilled linkbuilder - that may also be worthwhile... Although I would be looking for something much more creative/effective than directories in their linkbuilding plan.

Originally Posted by benzleot
    Seo Web Directory is the best technique to get good back links.
    No it isn't.
    There are lot of benefit's of web directory.
    Such as?
    If your website get the back link from high page rank web directory then your website page rank also increase.
    If you get backlink from ANY web page your page rank increases... If you get a link on a PR5 directory from a PR1 page, you get a tiny slice (an equal share with all other outlinks on that page) of that PR1
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume".. Egol 22nd Feb 2008
    New to SEO/SeoChat?...Click Here
    Canonical Problems?... Click Here
    Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I paid a not to be mentioned seo company for listing in web directories. I think it was like submission to 150 directories $10. None of the submissions are guaranteed and i feel the backlinks are weak anyways. I stopped paying for directory submissions as well as bookmarking (i know waste of money right ?). I think submitting useful and thoughtful comments to niche-similar blogs might be the better investment in time instead of spending money. I'm probably going to get some disagreement from the guys most likely trying to promote their shady seo services but i'd like to hear from the honest seo pros on this forum.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : See below
  9. Cool bra. Go with Christ!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by nextoronto
    I paid a not to be mentioned seo company for listing in web directories. I think it was like submission to 150 directories $10. None of the submissions are guaranteed and i feel the backlinks are weak anyways. I stopped paying for directory submissions as well as bookmarking (i know waste of money right ?). I think submitting useful and thoughtful comments to niche-similar blogs might be the better investment in time instead of spending money. I'm probably going to get some disagreement from the guys most likely trying to promote their shady seo services but i'd like to hear from the honest seo pros on this forum.
    Well-directed blog comments can get you some good targetted traffic and - occasionally/rarely - a worthwhile (seo) link.

With regard to paid SEO services, like I said:
    Originally Posted by ClickyB
    ...for a website owner with no SEO skills, paying for an all 'round SEO Service (including backlink propogation) is a reasonable idea... and - if you can find a skilled linkbuilder - that may also be worthwhile... Although I would be looking for something much more creative/effective than directories in their linkbuilding plan.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Aug 6th, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

thank's ClickyB sir
    i am new in the seo so i cant know more about these think so once again i so thankful of your fro share a good news with me.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: swap name for nickname
  13. No Profile Picture

If you submit URL in quality paid directory you'll get good backlinks

Comments on this post

• realityhack : No you won't
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is just a quick response because I messed up and canceled my longer one.
    Web directories are DEAD.
    Once upon a time web directories were used for web navigation. I remember going to directories to locate sites on a given topic.
    Nobody actually uses directories any more.

Think of links this way. If you expect actual humans to arrive at your site through the link... good link. Otherwise... likely not that good.
  17. No Profile Picture

Ya I am agree with your post nice....

Comments on this post

• realityhack : I checked your post history... If you have nothing to contrubute, don't post
  19. No Profile Picture

well tell me about it... who goes to web directory to search a site ... While u can google it....
    it is just for backlinking.. backlinking is for google..
    i mean really if ppl do go to web directory then y we are competing to get result in google..??
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by luqmaankhaan598
    well tell me about it... who goes to web directory to search a site ... While u can google it....
    it is just for backlinking.. backlinking is for google..
    i mean really if ppl do go to web directory then y we are competing to get result in google..??
    Could you try to rephrase that into a coherent thought.
  23. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Directories are not really great traffic sources unless the directory is very niche related or local relevance. At least this is what I've observed. I do think that some directories provide SEO value but it seems that its more for local marketing these days. If you are using directories as your main form for backlinking, you are wasting your time. There are a few decent directory links still available as previously noted but I wouldn't strain yourself trying to get a link from these sources.

Some solid local and niche directories can provide a place for you to get a valuable citation for your local marketing campaign. In the local market, its about Name, Address and Phone number. You won't do a bang up job with traffic but it will serve to support your local SEO efforts. I don't think directories are for mainstream use any longer.

As for paid listings, I've often wondered and asked many times around here but never saw anything compelling advising to buy a directory links. Your mileage may vary though. I'm sure you can take the money you would invest for a paid directory and invest it elsewhere and get more value from it, such as content creation.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  25. No Profile Picture

No, its not worth to pay. I'm amazed noone mentioned penguin here. Adding your site to paid directories can get you de-indexed in Google. The same can happen for dodgy directory sites (ie. directory sites whos sole purpose is to collect as many links as possible). Those sites will not give you visitors, they will not help your rank, instead the consequences would be negative.

There are local directories, directories people do use to find something, those would help for visitors but id doubt they help for pagerank. You dont need an SEO company for those, you can do that yourself id imagine. (example: my folks live in a place where the local government has a website with store and restaurant information, people do use these sites, especially older folks, to find opening hours/directions/phonenumbers).

If you do want high quality backlinks (and those arent directories) you could check for an SEO company, but i agree with ClickyB, then i'd ask for more then just backlink help.
  27. No Profile Picture

Being relatively new to SEO and the whole concept, I started my first SEO campaign (in the later months of last year, so it's still early days) by obsessing on link building. And after analyzing my competition and seeing that they had many links in niche and broad link directories I started doing the same.

A few of free links I've received I think are valuable to some degree but only for back-links, not direct traffic. So I think spending a small amount of time on this can't hurt. And I've in the process provided them reciprocal links, this might mean Google see this link as less valuable but at least it builds some kind of business relationship.

I also applied for paid links, some of these sites have linked to my site but they don't come up on a back-links search tool like Open Site Explorer or Traffic Travis, and also don't show on Webmaster Tools in Google, which leads me to believe that these are a waste of time and money (if anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it, I can see the link on the website but not on any link checking tools). One site has even taken my money and not provided a link and is now unresponsive to my emails. So avoid paid links because Google doesn't rate them highly and they're just generally ran by black hat con artists.
  29. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Does the URL where the link resides show up in Google index? Possibly a no-follow attribute on the backlink in question but you would have to look at the source code for the page said link is on to determine this.

Paid linking is very questionable in today's SEO landscape, especially if it is unfamiliar territory for you. You may want to do a bit of reading on paid link building to weigh out the risks vs rewards.

I think many people view backlinks, especially on directories as a traffic source instead of SEO benefit. Many people write-off a directory b/c much of them do not pass any traffic or value. If you find some niche directories, you may not see copious amounts of traffic from it but it will likely be more targeted and the value these types of links pass will be greater then your typical directory link. Thank you for sharing your experience, regardless of how long you've been at it. Real experiences are what is needed here.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: